SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medha_nanal

Requesting review of revised kitchen layout.

homey_bird
8 years ago

Dear GW'ers,

Here I am, with a revised layout of my kitchen. (I have posted one prior revision, around Jan week 1 of this year, but cannot find that thread in the search engine, so I may have to explain most of my goals/preferences all over. Would be happy to do so, if required).

I am attaching both the whole floor plan and the kitchen plan (hand drawn by me, please forgive that it is hand-drawn, and if you know a nice free software please suggest! I'm all ears).

Some changes I made over last revision:

1. There is a staircase right behind the "bottom" wall of this kitchen photo. I had it converted into a walk in pantry. Originally, it was storage accessible from the hallway.

- I have always maintained that I needed "out of sight" place for my appliances to reduce counter clutter. Main reason for walk in pantry is to keep those appliances sitting on the shallow counter. However, I am also wondering if this is actually wasteful. Buehl pointed out earlier that if my appliances vent steam, then I will not be able to store a lot of food stuff nearby, and therefore this pantry space will be mostly wasted. My appliances are blender, toaster oven and rice cooker, so they do vent steam. I need ~4-5 linear ft of space to host them and this same pantry space can be converted into a regular tall cabinet with a shallow shelf allocated to appliances, AND the under-stair-space can be accessed from the hallway and be used for other purposes. Waiting to hear on this one from experts.

2. I have added a door to the side yard. Two reasons: avoiding corner cabinets plus I find side yard access from kitchen handy, to take trash out. I used to have it before and it was missed when we removed that access as a part of a remodel.

However, I'd be happy with this door being anywhere along that wall. It does not have to be right in the kitchen. If it's better to get rid of it entirely, I'd consider it.

Adding this door made it possible to have a wall of ovens (30" but not sure if that is correct dimension - correct if I am wrong! - I do have 36" leeway if needed.) I am coming to conclusion that given my dislike for countertop appliances, I need to have a compact convection oven AND a microwave oven, both built in. I hope it will not break the bank. I also realized that it cannot be combination coz I use both extensively. That's why, I have shown a R/O (which will be my full sized oven), and a compact convection and micro on the wall. Alternatively, I'm open to 3 ovens on the wall and a cooktop with pot/pan drawers underneath. (If you have 3 stacked wall ovens, I'd love to see! My ceilings will be ~9ft tall and I am 5'4"). Opinions appreciated!

3. I moved Refrigerator to the "other" wall. In the previous revision it used to be near where my pantry is.

4. I added an extra prep sink in the island.

Ok, without further ado, here are the layouts:

1. Whole first floor plan:

This is the kitchen, with details about cabinets filled by me. The only final things are:

-- range to be along the wall it currently is, but can move laterally.

-- Sink to be along the wall it currently is, but can move along that counter. Sink window can move with the sink.

And, since I realize that I labelled upside down, here is the plan moved 180 degrees. The above plan should help align kitchen with overall plan, coz it has exact same orientation. The following plan is upside down.

Some notes on my current layout:

1. My dishes, cups and silverware, drinkware can be stored in the cabinetry in dining area, for easy retrieval during dinner.

2. This means that I need storage for food items and pots + pans and hand blenders/bakeware/salad spinners etc. in the kitchen. Let me know if I am missing anything.

If needed, I can post previous revision to help identify changes.

Thanks in advance, and excited to hear feedback.

Comments (33)