SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekm

Which Artwork for my Bedroom?

aimeekm
7 years ago

So .. apparently all my decorating angst is about artwork. I could design and buy a $4K custom sofa in 30 minutes, all by myself, but I'm stymied by art!

Recently purchased my 1920's Craftsman home, a California bungalow, and am in the artwork phase of decorating. So for my bedroom I ordered 2 original watercolors for the wall space on the left hand side of my headboard. Then I ordered some prints to go on the wall across from the bedroom, sharing the wall with my TV. The original watercolors arrived, and I was absolutely floored by them, amazingly beautiful. I then was afraid the prints would look cheap in the same room, so I bought some additional watercolors instead (but different artist). Still following?

Today both the watercolors and the prints arrived. The watercolors are beautiful, as I thought they would be. But I was surprised at how well the prints coordinate with the colors in the drapery, so am thinking maybe my first instinct was the right one. So basically now I'm just confused!

On the the pictures!

Wall where the prints or the Iris watercolors will go

Wall where the Orchid watercolors will go

The rest of the room

(Yes, the drapery is too short, I need to get the hems taken out!)

Here are the watercolors I received that blew me away, these are going on the wall to the left of the headboard, above the bedside table

These are the second watercolors I ordered

These are the prints (I have them IRL, but too curled up to photograph)

Finally, here is the drapery fabric, the focal point in the room

Sooooo ..... which do I go with, the Iris watercolors, or the color coordinated prints?

Comments (49)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

Buy art you love, never to "coordinate" with fabric or your sofa. Collect it as you find it. A dealer once told me that one need never apologize for a blank wall. The right art will find YOU.

aimeekm thanked Anglophilia
  • sumac
    7 years ago

No to the prints YES to the watercolors Beautiful room.

• Related Discussions

Help with art for master bedroom

Q

Comments (11)
    Les - One of the things I like about the baker's rack in its current position is that I feel it balances the door to the bathroom. Before the piano came into our lives, my plan was to buy a linen press or other large piece for that spot. The chairs are probably in the only location that works. The door to the bedroom is directly opposite the wooden dresser. If the chairs are any closer to the fireplace, they're in the traffic pattern to the bathroom and closet, which is off the bathroom. There was supposed to be a bit more space there, but due to a miscommunication on my part, the contractor and I weren't on the same page. (The master suite s a recent addition to my 1950s ranch.) I love the bedding too. Thank you! It's made according to the whim of whoever makes the bed! Sometimes it lower. Sometimes it's not. As long as the bed gets made daily, I'm happy! That picture was snapped on day one. The curtains are pulled out to expose more of the windows now! The picture of DH's grandmother's brownstone isn't large enough to go over the fireplace. I had originally thought that the painting over the fireplace would go over the bed, but we had the area over the fireplace wired for TV, and I had to cover that up! Maybe I'll have to cave an buy a TV for over the fireplace and move the other painting. At least TVs are less expensive than art! I just don't like them in bedrooms. Sigh.
    ...See More

Bedroom Tweaking, Continued (art placement, etc.)

Q

Comments (20)
    Kitch4me (I always thought the "kitch" in your name stood for "kitchen," though it just occurred to me that it could mean, well, kitch, which I like even better) I've chosen the last of the two pictures to hang between the windows, at least, for now. One of these days, my artist friend will make it over to help me (re)organize my artwork, and, then, all bets are off as to where they'll end up. I did reorganize my shelves a bit. I even took iphinkmountain's advice & added some baskets at the bottom - put photo albums and my old journals (dating back to high school, I think) in them. ShawNshawN - thanks for the calculations! I absolutely generally agree with you about hanging art eye height - and since I'm 5'3" and live alone, that's the standard I use - right? I don't really care what "average" eye height is in my home. That said, not all my art is eye height. For example, I have this vignette: The lower piece is hanging quite low, but it is eye height, for me, when I'm sitting on my sofa directly across from it. Which brings up the art above the bookshelves, directly across from my bed... that's art that I see when I'm in/on my bed. The photo above, taken from my bed, is how I see the art when I have a direct view of it. Are there exceptions made to the "eye level" rule when "eye level" is generally not a standing view?
    ...See More

Please show me your art in your master bedroom

Q

Comments (17)
    The art in my bedroom is all over the map. It's where I put my art that doesn't work well elsewhere in my house, which means it is a bit of a motley crew. Even given that, it's not displayed to its best advantage. Textile piece over the bed (because I live in earthquake country and if something is going to fall on my head, I want it to be soft and light). This was a gift I received in the context of my work from some Chinese visitors. This one and the one on the left in the photo below are by a friend of mine. The orange and purple one was the first original art I ever purchased, right out of college. The two on the right I purchased at the annual open house for Creative Growth Art Center, which serves artists with developmental, mental and physical disabilities. The duck (or grebe) is a wood-black print and I love the color of the forest. These last to are also from Creative growth. This is by far my most controversial piece of art, which I've shared before. The consensus seems to be "I couldn't have that in MY bedroom." To which I can only say, then it's a good thing it is in my room instead.
    ...See More

What other art should I hang in my pale pink bedroom?

Q

Comments (2)
    The pink is pretty. There is already quite a lot of art and furniture, so I would not add more until you've lived with it a while. I like the grey and pink scheme.
    ...See More
  • Abby Krug
    7 years ago

I prefere the prints to the iris watercolors- but as Anglophelia said- art is a personal expression and is not a decorating choice. I find the prints energetic and cool. And I think the prints play better with the watercolors on top. The first watercolors are fantastic. Congratulations on a beautiful room!

aimeekm thanked Abby Krug
  • artemis_ma
    7 years ago

Personally, I love the watercolors, the prints not so much. But you gotta go with what works for you...

aimeekm thanked artemis_ma
  • aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Unfortunately I'm not patient enough to wait for art to come to me. I hate the feeling of an unfinished home.

What would make me happy .... a bigger house with more wall space :)

I really like both, here are my thoughts:

Iris Watercolors

Pros: I love that they are original, they are soft and beautiful

Cons: Smaller, will need a wide mat to frame, brings purple into the room, I was working with a green and blue color scheme

Prints

Pros: Colors coordinate beautifully, larger, so narrower mat, I like the contrast of modern art with the traditional Craftsman interior

Cons: Coordinates too well, too matchy? Prints vs, original art, doesn't seems as sophisticated and thoughtful, spending $100's of dollar to frame $10 prints

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Your answer is in your post:)

You called watercolors 4 names: soft, beautiful, sophisticated, thoughtful.

You didn't give prints a name..

Prints, you appreciate for what influence they'll bring to the room

Watercolors, you appreciate for being them.

If I was to marry a Print or a Watercolor (lol)-my chances of happy marriage would be better with the Watercolor.

Not because it's not a print. But because I liked it for what it was. Just so.

PS nothing wrong with purple by the way-goes great with green and blue. It's analogous color. You're still within your scheme; you just get a bit more depth by adding close colors, and going for same shades different saturation

PPS if you read it and think "NO" all the time, now that' a sure sign that for real-you love the prints more:)

aimeekm thanked aprilneverends
  • maries1120
    7 years ago

I agree the water colors are beautiful. Are these Etsy sellers too? The prints are nice but not as special

Have you tried taping the prints up to see what you think of them on the wall?

i agree with you that the art and decor things can be much harder. I just posted my own bathroom decor challenge. At least you have some ideas.

aimeekm thanked maries1120
  • localeater
    7 years ago

Your room is lovely, I love the first set of watercolorsm can you please share the artist's name?

aimeekm thanked localeater
  • akl_vdb
    7 years ago

I think you know the answer already :)

Iris watercolours of course!

aimeekm thanked akl_vdb
  • User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Another vote for the watercolors. As has been stated above, some of us firmly believe that art should never match your furnishings. Then it becomes merely "wall décor", which is something entirely different (and usually uninspiring). :-)

aimeekm thanked User
  • aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for everyones comments ....

Few more pics .... the prints uncurled enough that I can finally photograph them

And then, here is the Iris watercolor on the wall

• User
    7 years ago

After seeing your latest pics, I'm even more convinced that the watercolors are the perfect (and very beautiful, serene) pieces for your walls. The prints? Definitely not. They actually compete with your drapes and make my eyes bounce around too much. I think they confuse the look.

aimeekm thanked User
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    7 years ago

I think the prints are too glaring if that makes sense. The watercolors are soothing and I love the addition of the purple in just the artwork.

Is there an ensuite bathroom? Maybe the prints could be used there.

aimeekm thanked Annette Holbrook(z7a)
  • l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

I like the prints and the look, but they do compete with the drapes, not compliment them, and you want the drapes to be a stand alone feature. The prints would look great in a plainer room where there boldness would be cool. Loved the watercolors from the start. Did you think of switching their placement with the other art? You might try that just for kicks. Otherwise, I like the irises but I would save the prints for another room.

aimeekm thanked l pinkmountain
  • pamghatten
    7 years ago

I like the prints with the drapes, but not with the wall colors. The iris look better on the wall with the wall colors, but are also good with the drapes.

aimeekm thanked pamghatten
  • aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone ...

I've decided on the Iris watercolors. I've spent the morning with both mocked up on my walls, and the watercolors just feel right!

• aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Just came back from the framers, and now I have no doubt the Iris's were the right choice. I'm so excited to get these back!

• Bunny
    7 years ago

I'm glad you decided on the irises. They are beautiful and have an inherent dignity. The prints were brash.

aimeekm thanked Bunny
  • aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Everything is back from the framers ... and hung today.

Do you ever have something you are sure will look great, you are so excited for, but then when it comes it's a let down? You don't hate it, but you don't love it? Well that's me and the framing & mating of these Irises.

I'm not afraid of color and going bold ... but in hindsight, I realize these watercolors needed a more subtle touch :(

I'm living with them for now, the framing cost a small fortune, so I'm going to see if they grow on me ... my bank account really hopes they do!

I really love these Irises, I just think the way I framed them doesn't do them justice.

In happier news, the deckle edge watercolors, I had those framed with a floating mount, and I LOVE how these turned out!

Thanks for everyone's help and advice on here!

• monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

I think you're being too hard on yourself. They look great!

aimeekm thanked monicakm_gw
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    7 years ago

I like the matting on the irises, but the white frames don't do it for me. I think dark frames would be better. Maybe tape off and paint?

I love the others, very pretty.

aimeekm thanked Annette Holbrook(z7a)
  • amykath
    7 years ago

Those are beautiful. I have to agree the three by the tv would look better if they were dark brown or black. That way they blend a little better with the tv.

aimeekm thanked amykath
  • pattyxlynn
    7 years ago

I have to agree with your first reaction. I don't think the matting and framing compliment the beautiful watercolors. What I saw on the first picture, as soon as I saw it, was the frame and mat. The contrast between the white, dark mat, and then the white of the watercolor. So to me, the watercolor gets lost. I've gone back a few time and closed my eyes and then reopened them. Same result, that's my first impression. I believe a darker frame, maybe the color of your other ones, and a lighter mat would show off the watercolors beautifully.

Don't fear, if you want to go this route, you can always disassemble the picture and then paint both the frame and mat. I've done this before and it came out great. However, if you're not comfortable doing that, I'd look towards a time when you can have them redone.

I'm curious to read more views on this.

ETA: Re-reading some of the above views. Maybe it would be better to have just the frame darker and leave the mat dark. That would take care of the contrast. It would be easy to try it, you wouldn't have to take the picture apart, just tape it off.

aimeekm thanked pattyxlynn
  • User
    7 years ago

That happens to me quite a bit, ordering something and thinking it will look great and then some disappointment when it does not look like I imaged in my head. Most times though after living with it, I do end up loving it. Unfortunately here I agree that the white frame is what is distracting, especially against the black TV. I would leave the mat white and paint the frames black. I think you will be much happier.

aimeekm thanked User
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

I'd leave the dark mat. And I'd paint(or asked somebody to paint)) just the frames. Maybe dark brown, maybe even dark green as in mats. Not black though. It will take the harsh contrast away, and will let the irises to shine. Everything will immediately fall into place. I think.

The other two watercolors look just wonderful.

• Jane
    7 years ago

Good call on the watercolors.

I think the white frames on the irises are ok, because they echo the chair rail. The entire wall does look a little more graphic/masculine/business-like, but you may grow to like it. It looks polished. Might be a nice contrast to the feminine subject matter. Give it a few days.

I think anything you choose would look great. Except maybe the prints you rejected - they seem too whimisical for an adult bedroom. I could see them in a bathroom, living area, or girl's bedroom.

aimeekm thanked Jane
  • aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So after living with them for a day, and reading everyone's comments, I agree it's the white frames that are the issue. I'm glad it's not the matting, because I really do like the colors, and the green mat is fabric, and was a serious up charge.

My thinking on the white frame, was as Jane says, to echo the chair rail and moldings, and overall the room has a lot of white. I wouldn't have expected it, but the white frame does draw the eyes and distracts from the paintings.

So for solutions ... I think painting the frames black would be too harsh, and create contrast in the other direction. Painting the frames brown, I think I would always see the brown paint and wish it was wood instead. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and have the frame replaced. I'd rather spend the money than be disappointed every time I look at these. My first thought is to go with a wood frame similar in tone to the dresser. The other option I was thinking was to go with a silver tone frame? I'm definitely leaning towards the wood frame, as that I'm comfortable with, and am sure it will look nice. A silver tone frame might be more feminine, interesting and different than the rest of the frames in house. But I'm gun shy about making another costly mistake! Or maybe I can test out the silver tone frame idea by painting the existing and see how I like it? Thoughts?

I appreciate everyone's honest opinions!

• Jane
    7 years ago

Reframe one of them but keep the white frame in case you want to go back to white.

Honestly the chair rail bothered me when it was by itself. I think the white frames completed the look. But if you hate the white frames, you need to try other frames before you'll know for sure. If the frames go dark, the chair rail might dominate again. You can probably find something midtone that does not make the pics look like holes in the wall. Would you consider a whitewash? You have to see the actual frame before you know if you like it. Quality makes a big difference.

aimeekm thanked Jane
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

I would go with wood (you're right, painting with brown paint to look like wood is a bit strange..didn't think of it). I think your instincts are right.

I think the purpose of the frame is not to repeat a chair rail, or not to be interesting, or not to be different, or not to be the same, for that matter. The purpose of the frame is to bring everything mysterious the art hides within, out. You can do it in many ways of course, there is no one right way to frame. But a frame is always a background.

It seems to me that silver, in a way similar to white, will bring too much attention to itself, rather than irises. Too big a contrast with a mat. If the irises were framed without mats, my answer would be different. But the irises have mats, and very nice ones at that, so I'd go with darker wood, or, again, painted the frames the color of the mats-I like the wood option more of course, but to paint is cheaper...

• User
    7 years ago

The water colored ones you framed work well on that wall because the darkness of the frame relates to the dark color of the bed frame. I think you are making a mistake by going silver or light in reframing. You have a big black TV on that wall, I think the frames should relate, so I would go dark frames.

aimeekm thanked User
  • 2pups4me
    7 years ago

Personally, I would live with them just as they are for at least a week or two. Framing is just too expensive to make a quick decision based on other's opinions (no offense to anyone!)

aimeekm thanked 2pups4me
  • maries1120
    7 years ago

Do you have anything you could put over the white to see if you would like a darker frame better with the existing matting?

• Vertise
    7 years ago

I prefer the way the other two are framed but the white frames do seem to take attention away from the tv. Unfortunately, the art itself stands out less too. I'd be inclined to tone down the frames and lighten the matting to bring focus on the watercolors more. There was a gal who painted her fabric chair here recently and it turned out fantastic, so the mats are not a loss.

aimeekm thanked Vertise
  • EvaElizabeth
    7 years ago

I think agree that the problem is the contrast. Especially because you have double contrast with the white, green, white, dark. So as long as you are going back to the drawing board, it doesn't hurt to try pulling out the mat to see if you like it better in the white frame. If you really like the green, I think it would look better without the dark double mat inside. My suggestions would be green with a wood frame, the dark mat (your accent color) with a dark frame, white matte with a white frame, or white matte with a thin wood frame, similar to what you did with the other art.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd suggest a darker grey frame like cpartist suggested. I'd also personally go with a white mat - or no mat. I think black is a little stark for a watercolor, but a dark blue/grey is a nice shadow color that compliments the art. I like watercolors framed with mats and without mats, but it completely depends on the piece, and most of the time I like watercolors better with white. Although, I'm biased because I also paint and I think the different textures of different types of watercolor papers are beautiful - the paper is a huge part of the feeling of the painting to me, and I tend to leave a lot of negative space around my work anyway. I'm also a huge control freak about framing, but that's just me being crazy.

To back up to your original post about the print, I believe if you choose art you love whether or not it matches, you will find that it fits in your home, and it's not "match-matchy." And I believe this of prints or paintings or whatever it may be.

aimeekm thanked EvaElizabeth
  • k9arlene
    7 years ago

I think I'd start from scratch and re frame them in a floating mount like the others. You've got too much going on with the green mat, blue trim and white frame. The prints get lost in all of that.

aimeekm thanked k9arlene
  • aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone ....

So I have coming some tape so I can mock up my options, silver tone, wood grain, black and dark green. One thing I have learned from all of my art angst is I'm not a good visualizer in my head!

Jane - A mid-tone might work, I agree in thinking too dark would distract the eye, just like the white does, I need to find the right balance. The chair rail does make sense in context of the rest of the house, all of the other rooms in the house, except the kitchen have a chair rail, it fits w the architecture of the home (Craftsman). But I see, by just viewing this room it could look out of place.

Aprilneverends - Yeah, I made the mistake of thinking I could pull elements of the room into the framing and mating, but it all just ended up distracting from the art instead. You're right, it would need to be a dark, tarnished silver tone, to not make the same mistake as the white. I'm probably too chicken honestly to go with silver tone because of the cost of re-framing ... again!

RoseAbbey - Makes sense to related the frame to the darker elements rather than the white, which clearly didn't work. I am generally drawn to darker wood tones, ironically this is the one time I went with a white frame.

2pupsforme - I'm going to live with them for a little while. I have an additional painting on the way to me right now, so I will wait for it before I go to the framers again. But I have to admit I am impatient and dislike looking at things that make me disappointed in myself. And you're right about expensive!

maries1120 - Took your advice and have different colored tapes on the way, thank you.

snookums2 - Yeah, the upholstery painting was amazing. I'd like to keep the mats if at all possible. I was way more in love with the vibrant mat than the white frame, when I placed the order. And having a lot of bold color is kind of "me". I was thinking though of maybe making that inner mat of dark blue thinner and have it just be a tiny subtle accent. But of course that is even more cost .... sigh....

cpartist - Thank you! That is exactly the type of visual I need to understand it is the frame that is the issue, more so than the "colorful" mat! That also gives me an even more affordable option rather than re-framing. What would you think of having the wall color mixed at 125% so it is a few shades dark than the wall, and painting the frame with that? (anyone can answer that question, of course!)

elizabetheva - When I picked up the art, before I hung it, it was how much of the blue inner mat was showing that bothered me, I had imagined it to be thin and subtle. I may have the framer quote me on changing out the white mat to make it wider, and the blue narrower. I also agree with the watercolor textures. That is the reason I float mounted the other watercolors, I love the deckle edge, and wanted to highlight the detail and texture. I am also a framing control freak,my framer was like ..."oh, you really know what you like, huh?" ... but apparently what I like isn't always right for the art!

k9arlene - I'd like to keep starting from scratch as a last resort. Considering my sunk cost is significant, I'd like to try to make what I have work first. Of course if I have to start from scratch I will .... but it hurts to even think about it.

I so appreciate everyone's help on here. I don't have a single friend or family member who spends much time or money on decorating, so you guys are a lifesaver!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

What would you think of having the wall color mixed at 125% so it is a few shades dark than the wall, and painting the frame with that?

The darker color could work. You'll need to try it. Also I would use a semi gloss and not a flat or eggshell. Also you'll need to sand down the frame.

aimeekm thanked cpartist
  • aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Update - Well this has been quite the ordeal.

I decided I would prefer the frames to be wood tone rather than painted. Since I knew I definitely didn't want the white, I figured, I would sand, stain, and if I didn't like the result, I could always sand again and paint the dark gray as discussed above. I started sanding and figured out this wasn't ordinary white paint, it was plastic-y and very thick. The effort required, and the end result wasn't going to be worth it.

So now I just had a ruined white frame I didn't want to take back to my framer due to both expense and embarrassment at ruining his work. I went online and found a DIY framing site and bought the framing moldings cut to size. This only cost about $100, so I figured it was worth the price to not have to face my framer w my mangled frame. My handyman installed the frames while I was away, and it turned out really well!

I'm still not absolutely in love with how these look. I think the green is too intense, just too much. But they do look 100% better, and will live with them.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

• msmeow
    7 years ago

I love the green, especially with the corner of the bedspread I can see in one photo! And the brown frames are much better than the white.

I love the whole look!

Donna

aimeekm thanked msmeow
  • lisaam
    7 years ago

Yes, seeing the green bedspread makes a big difference to how we perceive the mat color. The irises look very pretty and woodlands-like; well done!

aimeekm thanked lisaam
  • maries1120
    7 years ago

The dark wood frames look good! Your hand an did a great job with thr framing you bought.

• Hockeymom84
    7 years ago

They look much better with the darker frames but yes the framer did a disservice to the print with the dark mat. I used to do custom framing for a high end photographer and the mat should draw attention to the art not to itself. Again they do look much better now.

aimeekm thanked Hockeymom84
  • l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

Cool thread. Good fix. Much better. I like and I would keep as is, the wood and green echo some of the better elements in the room anyway. Although the iris could stand out more, they stand out well and much better than they did with the white frames. Good job!

aimeekm thanked l pinkmountain
  • Yayagal
    7 years ago

We all learned so much from this thread and give yourself a pat on the back for choosing the green mat, it's what makes the difference as in " stunning ". So happy for you. You have good determination.

aimeekm thanked Yayagal
  • aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I'm feeling much better now that these are closer to what I wanted. Glad to see that many of you really like the green mat. Hopefully they will grow on me and come to love them as is, as posed to just like.

i am totally impressed by the DIY frames I bought and the job my handyman did with them. Looks totally professional and so much less expensive than going bac,k to my framer. Not to mention less embarrassing.

As as far as the choices of the frames and mats, that was all me, not my framer. He's gotten to know me and that I always have a strong vision when I come in with a piece. I'm sure he could tell that I was not going to be dissuaded from my original choice, as I was (mistakenly) super confident about it.

• aimeekm
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oops - double post