SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

Need feedback on lighting for bathroom

purrus
7 years ago

Hi everyone,

OK, I've been racking my brains trying to find a light fixture for the ikea Godmorgon medicine cabinet. It is not recessed and sticks out about 5-6 inches from the wall. As a result, finding lighting to go above it that does not create a shadow is somewhat challenging. Google tells me that many others have suffered a similar quandary and found no decent solutions. (huge sigh.) Ikea does make two options, but I don't like either of them.

My style in this bathroom is quite modern overall. I am using white glossy subway on the walls with grey grout, and white 2-inch hex tile on the floors with grey grout. All chrome fixtures. I'm using the Ikea Godmorgon vanity also in glossy white:

I found a reno on GW that used the Talo Mini Artemide light above the Godmorgon vanity, which is where I got the idea. I trust GWers in general and know they put a lot of thought into things like this. It is expensive (at least to me), but lighting is important to me and I want to get this right.

(Here's the reno I found that uses this fixture above the godmorgon medicine cabinet: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2315694/finished-bathroom-sleek-and-modern-master-bath?n=52)

Link to fixture: http://www.ylighting.com/artemide-talo-21-mini-wall-light.html

From the looks of this reno, I think they built a soffit and attached the light to it. Right? This is not addressed in the reveal or any other threads I could find. Also the fixture is only 4 inches deep so they couldn't have accomplished this lighting feat any other way.

I am using a contractor for this and not DIYing, thank god, so I assume something like this would be within his skill set. However, I was hoping to use white subway tile across that whole wall, continued from the shower/tub stall, to make the room look bigger since it's only 5x8. Is there a way to build a soffit above the cabinets and still tile the whole wall without having it look strange or should I forget the whole idea and just paint if I have to build a soffit?

(To be clear, recessing this cabinet (or any other) is not an option due to the location of water pipes. I do need the storage of a medicine cabinet. Otherwise I'd just get a mirror and be done with it!!!)

Also, if I go with the Talo Mini Artemide fixture, my question is this: since I'm using all chrome on the bathroom fixtures, should I get the chrome finish ($80 more on an already expensive fixture) or should I just go with the brushed or the white? (And if I do go with one of those, which one?) I'm not looking for this fixture to be a feature, but to be streamlined and functional which is how all the reviews I've seen describe it.

Finally, will this likely be sufficient light for a small (5x8) bathroom, or should I add something else? These are only 8 inches wide, and my vanity is 24 inches wide; I could conceivably use two of these, but I'm not sure whether that would be overkill . I don't want a dark vanity--the whole point of building a soffit above these cabinets is making sure that I can see my face clearly. Each fixture comes with a 150W halogen bulb.

Here are the chrome and white options (again, Chrome is $80 more, and I'm having to have a #$@%ed soffit built...but I don't want to look back and wish I'd sprung for the chrome.)

Thanks in advance, everyone. I need to make this decision quickly, since my contractor will probably need to know whether to move the junction box for the light before he starts tiling, presumably... and I've been trying to figure this out for way too long.

Comments (36)