SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
figsinhawaii

Story of how I got my 2nd citrus, plus 2 questions

figsinhawaii
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Bottom line: After my yard is treated again and again for ants, I'm going to take my in-ground Eureka lemon tree and move it into a container. Then, I'm going to put a Meyer lemon in its place in the ground.

As some of you already know, I'm cleaning up my in-ground Eureka lemon tree area from ants and aphids. On Tues, Terminix is coming and I've been washing/spraying with water and neem, plus sprinkling cinnamon to get rid of the pests. It is working!

However, today my husband and I went to run some errands. Along the way, we stopped at a huge local nursery, very reputable and knowledgeable owner with acres of plants/trees for sale. For the record, I stopped because I was looking for another avocado, and not a citrus since I said I would get rid of the ants first! Anyhow, I briefly mentioned wanting to buy another citrus once I got my pests under control. When the name "Eureka" came up, he said, "oh, you have an in-ground lemon and it's *not*(!) a Meyer? I told him I'd like a Meyer for a container one day. His suggestion was to take advantage of that space and pot the Eureka, but to ABSOLUTELY put the Meyer in the ground; that the difference of it reaching its full potential and thriving would be in the ground instead of container.

Little did I know that my husband wanted a few goodies from Best Buy on the way home, so at the nursery, he was more than happy to buy a Meyer on the spot (ha ha, works for me!). The nursery owner wrapped it up (pic below) and we took it home.

Here are my questions:

1) In your opinion, will the Meyer thrive THAT MUCH more in the ground? I'd hate to go through the move if the difference won't be noticeable. BUT, I'm more than happy to do this if in the long run, the Meyer is a backyard star one day.

2) Is it possible to plant a Meyer in the ground using the 5-1-1 mix in a raised bed like the one in the pic below (minus the plants on the surface)? Internet photo, not mine. I'd like a raised bed so that the grass stops growing around the trunk of the lemon tree (see pic of how the lawn grass always grows so close to the Eureka trunk).

3) Not a question, just a final thought. I'm so nervous! I don't want to mess this up. I have several fruit trees, both potted and in the ground. I'm not nervous making decisions for my other trees and plants. BUT, I've never had problems with any of them, especially the way I have with my Eureka.

Thank you if you're still reading this long post. This is going to be a project.. I'm thankful for any guidance!!!

New Meyer below:

Current in-ground Eureka:

Raised bed idea from Internet:

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living