SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

So who's making next year's plans already?

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

This has definitely been my worst summer for a decade so the only thing to do is visit that really safe space, your garden comfort zone.,..and one of mine has always been the absolute reliability of spring bulbs, specifically tulips.They all grew ridiculously well for me in the sunny, sandy (and frankly, a bit rubbish) soil of the allotment - heaps better than the hard grind of vegetables - many of them are grown just up the road from me in the Fens so they were cheap too. For tulip month (and later, rose month) the allotment was guaranteed to look fantastic with minimal effort from me. Woe, complacency though! The woods stole all my attention - I cast aside childish things (such as gaudy bulbs, dahlias, many annuals sown for fun) for grown-up gardening. Shady FOLIAGE stuff, trees...you know, serious plants which take YEARS to grow from seed.

My poor allotment was relegated to the second division, just as it was beginning to look half-way decent...and 4 years of decreasing attention and absolutely not a penny spent, it is looking grim...so what better excuse for blowing the budget on a tulip extravaganza and giving the glum allotment (and myself) a kick in the arse.

Quite a few species have had to be replaced, having been bullied and neglected...and a few doubles (which I have never bought before)- Margarita, Showcase and the lovely Belle Epoch, a couple of viridifloras - the old Spring Green and a purple Night Rider...it was an agony choosing only a few hundred but one of the very nicest deferred pleasures and a joy at the end of a gloomy English grey winter.

Because the allotment is such a mess, I am counting this as a radical overhaul The very nature of gardening insists on some projection into an imaginary (much better) future...are you hanging out in that world yet?

Comments (20)