SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hominamad

Help me diagnose my tart cherry tree

hominamad
7 years ago

I planted this tart cherry tree a few months ago. It was doing great for the first few months, and then recently started showing some signs of something wrong. The leaves are starting to curl up and look dried out in areas, and I also noticed some brown spots on some of the leaves. Some of them also seem to have some sort of white residue on them.

I discounted underwatering as the cause, because we had a very rainy spring, sometimes raining multiple times per week. That made me think maybe it was overwatering. The area of my lawn whe the tree is planted, gets watered by my sprinkler. I turned that zone off for a a few weeks but have not noticed any discernable difference.

Any ideas what this could be? Anything to worry about? I live in NY metro area, and this is a Surefire dwarfing cherry that was planted as a whip.

Also as a side question, in the winter when I prune, should I even out, or chop off that one big branch that is growing off to the side? I want to train this tree as an open center.

Thanks,

h

Comments (4)