SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yelppuppy

Help me diagnose my Lemon Tree

yelppuppy
13 years ago

I bought this improved meyers lemon tree about 2 months ago. I repotted it from the nursery container to a bigger terra cotta pot. When I was losening the rootball, a big chunk of the rootball fell off, so I was left with two layers of root, top and bottom attached by an anchor root that's kind of off on the side, not in the center.

It was difficult to plant because the tree was slanted- it would collapse on the hollow side of the root ball. I did my best to straighten up the tree but stuffing as much soil in the middle of the rootball as possible.

But the lemon tree has been steadily losing its leaves and flowers ever since. It has now less than half of the leaves it started with. The top layer of the rootall has all turned brown and it's obviously not growing. I didn't dig up the bottom of the rootball to see how it's doing. I recorded it to show you the root condition, and I'd like to know if there's anything I can do at this point.

It's definitely not overwatering because I mix my own soil to make sure the drainage is excellent. the soil is mostly barks, perlites with some of the nursery peat moss soil mixed in. Yes there's a big drainage hole on the pot and the water drains well. I water about 2-3 times a week depending on the soil moisture level (i have a moisture meter).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6QuPTdUSHE

Here are pictures of the leaves condition:

{{gwi:587076}}

{{gwi:587077}}{{gwi:587078}}

Comment (1)