SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenn_russell_gw

Look like tart cherries to me

glenn_russell
15 years ago

Hi All-

So, IÂm over a friendÂs house last night, and the topic of fruits comes up. He says he has a tree in the back yard with some sort of fruit on it, but he doesnÂt know if itÂs edible or not. HeÂs confident that the previous homeowner planted it. So, we go out with a flashlight and take a look. It looks to me like itÂs a tart cherry tree. But, I donÂt have any experience with cherries(yet), so all I know is what IÂve read up here.

So, they certainly look like cherries to me, but before I tell him and his family they are safe to eat, can people confirm? The tree was about 17 feet tall, maybe 2.5" in diameter at the trunk. There were still probably 40 or so cherries on it. Keep in mind that itÂs mid November, so IÂm thinking these would have been ripe quite a while ago. There were some sort of moths on a couple of the berries any idea what types of moths theyÂd be?

Ok, so I had to try Âem. IÂm 99% sure theyÂre tart cherries, so I did a taste, spit, and swish. :) They were tart, but not astringent. IÂm guessing if they were sweet cherries, theyÂd have all been eaten by the birds. It was weird that I didnÂt seem to find a pit in the one I was eating.

Now that itÂs light out, I could probably go back and get a picture of the tree if needed But, it probably wonÂt be all that exciting because many of the leaves are down now.

IÂm in zone 6b, RI, but heÂs really zone 6a there.

Can people confirm tart cherries? And the likely type of moth? Any guesses at the likely variety? Are the little black spots on it (looks similar to flyspeck and sooty blotch on apples) simply because theyÂve been hanging on the tree for so long? He said they looked much nicer in the middle of the season.

Thanks as always!

-Glenn

{{gwi:125617}}

Comments (6)