SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wildernesthomestead

Oil or Propane?

Kelsey Janak
7 years ago

Hello everyone!

My fiance and I just closed on 6 acres of land in MA and are working on figuring out basic stuff like electricity, internet, and heating and how to get them on the property. We aren't starting construction for a year.

I was just told there was no gas line on the road we live off of, so our options for heating are now electric, oil or propane.

We currently live in a small 750sqft house that had electric heat the first two years we were there. It was a $530/MONTH (yep, you heard that right) nightmare all winter long and we will NEVER EVER have electric heat again, so this is off the table.

Our landlords have since converted us to propane (our stove is propane) and it is so much better. Winter bills are much more manageable and I have no complaints. I'm leaning towards this route, but our builder says we need to think of space to accommodate the tanks and our land needs a lot of retaining walls and fill work to be above the water table, so I'm not sure if this will be costly.

I grew up in 2 houses heated by oil and my parents seem to like it the most, though I do remember it getting rather expensive (not as bad as electric though). We have a "utility area" in the basement of our floor plan (basement will be finished) to fit the tank.

I also understand this would mean no gas stove, which I am completely fine with - I have a gas stove now (grew up with electric) and HATE it. I'm constantly cleaning it (which takes forever with the stupid grates), I've accidentally turned on the gas before by leaning into it (worried about this when we have kids), and it's SLOW. Takes forever to boil water. I will have an electric stove in our new house whether or not we go with propane lol.

So I'm curious, what does everyone heat their house with? What is least expensive? What do you like or not like about one or the other?

Comments (15)