SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djdoggone

Need Help with Basics: Oil vs. Propane, Radiant vs. Hot Water

djdoggone
14 years ago

We need help finding the right forest: oil vs. propane, radiant vs. hot water.

We aren't even at the point of better vs. best of anything: boiler, hot water tank(less).

We live in central Massachusetts. We are dismantling half the house. It was a fixer-upper that we need to whittle down to a size we can afford to fix up and maintain. We are in our 60's. The part we will be left with will be 24 x 30 (720 sq. ft.) on one floor. We will add a laundry/mudroom 10 x 12 for a total of 840 sq. ft. Part of the house has basement, part crawl space.

Right now there is forced hot water with a 30 year old Italian (Riello) oil burner. It heats the water from a storage tank (well water). Water is acidic and hard.

We don't have access to natural gas. Electric is expensive. Air pumps don't seem to function well in our environment. So our choices are propane (we'd bury a tank) and oil. When we look at the Massachusetts government site which posts the cost of propane and oil, they look to be running about the same. (Though I don't know if the units are comparable.)

We will put in an induction cooktop and electric oven so kitchen appliances don't factor in.

We need to replace the floors so radiant heat is an option.

I am home all day and need to keep the house very wam (72) because I am ill and have trouble with my body temperature.

Our goal is to get the house very efficient so going forward our expenses will be a little as possible, given that geothermal and solar are beyond our means and payback time.

Did I cover everything?

Comments (7)