SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cttrobough

Oil boiler VS propane furnace VS propane boiler

cttrobough
11 years ago

I am renovating a house built in 1977 in Ohio. I have too many choices to make and my head is swimming with all the different options.

The central A/C needs replacing, so we are getting a heat pump. With the heat pump, we would also need an air handler, but I was told that a furnace also functions as an air handler. So for just an additional $200-300 more I could have a propane furnace?

Currently the heat is a Smith oil boiler with baseboard radiators. I've heard this heat is great, but every house I've ever lived in has had forced air heating, so I have no experience. I have no idea how old the boiler is or how efficient it is.

The way I see it I have 3 choices:

1. For only $200-300, get a propane furnace. Scrap the oil boiler, radiators, and oil drums.

2. Replace the oil boiler with a propane boiler. Estimated cost would be $6-8k. I'm sure a new propane boiler would be more efficient than the current oil and I would save in upkeep.

3. Keep the oil boiler, but I would have to pay for cleaning, tune-up. I would also have to pay to re-run the flue (the current one is corroded, so the previous owners had been basically venting the boiler to the attic, surprised no one died)

Any suggestions?

Comments (4)