SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamghatten

Oil vs Propane

pamghatten
15 years ago

I need some basic info and advice. Saw some very technical info on here and I just needs basics.

I live in a rural area outside Buffalo, NY, it gets COLD! And probably very snowy this year! I currently use oil to heat my home. The boiler (Crown I think?)I bought 10 years ago has a crack and is leaking water.

My current oil company, not the company I originally bought this boiler from, spoke to the boiler company about warranty, etc. and told me the boiler company would replace the part that is cracked. But that would mean taking the whole boiler apart and they don't recommend that, and that the system will not be sealed well after being taken apart.

1. Is this a song and dance to get me to buy a new boiler?

So it actually was leaking at the beginning of LAST winter, but then stopped so I did nothing.

Of course, it's getting cold, nites have gotten down to 40 and the inside of the house is about 60 ... the boiler is leaking again. I called the oil company to come and look at it and give me options.

Someone else mentioned that I should look into using Propane to heat my house, since oil has gotten so expensive. I use propane for cooking and heating my water now.

I find oil very dirty ... the house is about 2500 sq ft, though I close off 600 sq ft except when family comes at Xmas to visit. I have some radiant heat. I usually keep my heat at 58 when I am at work all day or sleeping, and turn up certain zones only to 65 while I get a fire going when I get home from work. I have a wood burning fireplace that has a fan that heats the first floor to 70 when it gets going.

So which is better, IF I need to replace my leaking boiler? Another oil boiler, or propane? Or are there other choices that would cost about the same as oil or propane? And please consider that I live in the cold NE.

Thanks!

Comments (9)