SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwcarlton68

Blue Ridge Spa won't power on, flips breaker

Jason GoNC
7 years ago

A few weeks ago a major storm came through my area, taking electricity out for the entire county for several days. A few days after my power finally came back on, I discovered that my hot tub had no power and the breaker was flipped off. I'm guessing that it never came back on, but since I hadn't looked I can't be 100% sure.

Now, when I try to turn the breaker on it immediately kicks off again.

It's an older outdoor hot tub (I bought the house in 2004 and it was here when I bought it). The manufacturer is Blue Ridge Spa, who I think was an offshoot of Jacuzzi. I should also mention that there's not a repair man within 60 miles of me, so I've had to do all repairs myself.

So I crawled in to the service area to see what I could see. First, I unplugged the jet pump, heat pump, and control panel, then tried to turn the breaker on again. I figured this would isolate those from the issue. The breaker still flipped, so I know that the problem is at or before the circuit board.

There are 3 fuses in the board; two that are clear, and another Buss fuse that you can't see through. The clear ones look fine to the eye. I replaced the Buss fuse (had to order one), but that had no impact, so I don't believe that a fuse is the problem. Which really shouldn't have caused a breaker to flip, but I was crossing my fingers that it was a $5 fix :-)

But then I discovered that, with the Buss fuse out, the breaker STILL flipped. At that point, there's nothing in the circuit board that could be shorted; the wires just come in through the side of the panel and then go straight to the fuse block.

So, just from the process of elimination, would you guys agree that the problem has to be either the breaker or the wires coming from the breaker to the circuit board? If so, I'd be more comfortable calling an electrician to work on it. Or is there something else that I should check first?

(Note, I can post photos of anything, just tell me what you want to see)

Comments (2)