SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohno000

Opinions & assessments needed on these 3 Phalaenopsis. Re-potting?

Claire (Cape Town, South Africa)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I've been reading up about orchid care (on this forum and elsewhere online) as I now find myself in possession of three Phalaenopsis ( I think they're Phalaenopsis, but I haven't seen them flower yet). Anyway, these plants were given to me from a friend who has had them for only a few months. Since arriving in my home two of the three plant's lower leaves have been turn ing yellow. I've plucked two off in the last 2 days and now there are 2 more lower leaves turning yellow. Worried I may have over watered. In the last two weeks I've watered them on two consecutive days, two ice cubes per plant. I guess that was a bad move. I thought they were dry...now I'm worried they're too damp. Yikes these guys are fussy! What a challenge. All part of the fun of learning to grow orchids, I guess!

Some more detailed info:

I'm situated in Cape Town, South Africa. It's our winter here now. Most nights the temperature drops to 13º Celsius (55F) but during the day it's usually between 16 º - 20º C (60 - 68F). Generally our days are around about 60% humidity. The plants sit in my kitchen where they're about half a meter from a north -west facing window, that window receives sun in the afternoon, but the orchid leaves are not touched by any direct light... Except for three days when I forgot to move them from the windowsill but they don't appear burned. Generally it's reasonably light but the kitchen window isn't a huge window.

At the moment the orchids are potted individually into small plastic orchid containers with only one large drainage hole at the bottom. They appear to be potted in a mix of moss... Is this spagnum moss? In the photos below you can see the roots are fairly crammed in there. I received them as a bundle; all three plants placed inside one larger terra-cotta pot. Not sure if this is great for airflow, and chances of air roots getting mangled are high. I'm open to advice or opinions on this front, but I rather like the mass planting effect. Going forward, I'm going to start watering them based on the weight of the pots. I realise now that two ice cubes consecutively for such small pots is actually a rather large volume, especially given the compacted nature of the contents of the pots. Perhaps also, the potting medium has broken down.

The leaves were really dusty and I used a spray bottle and tissues to clean the leaves, I realise now that a lot of that water dribbled down the leaves and into the crown of the plant, hopefully not too much to cause rot. But I guess I should I be cautious about that going forward? The water also had a drop or two of dishwashing liquid, can this upset the plant?

My key questions:

Should I trim the dry air roots? *edit* I've already snipped off the dry, straggly and snapped ones. Hope this was the right move.

Should I re pot these plants into slightly larger containers and a new orchid mix? The roots seem fairly tightly packed in there!

Should one add drainage chips to the bottom of the pot? or is the fluffy, light make-up of the moss / orchid mix enough to promote drainage and air pockets around the roots? Like I say, I'm new to orchids.I am also keen on new, larger containers with more holes / slits for ventilation. Although it can get very hot here in Cape Town in summer so I don't want the plants drying out too much, is this worth being concerned about?

Lastly I will trim the dead tips of these huge flower spikes down to the next node once the leaves stop turning yellow. I'm not worried about flowers at this stage, just trying to not kill these beautiful plants. Although flowers would be great: each plant has two HUGE flower spikes.

Any thoughts and opinions welcome!

Thanks!

Photos below:

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!