SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nirvanamike06

High humidity in 2 connected rooms

nirvanamike06
7 years ago

I had some problems with some vents with condensation but I've pretty much got it under control by replacing a sagging attic door, sealing the registers and filling and insulating a big hole around the microwave vent. I get some light condensation during the day but it doesnt drip like before. But my kitchen and living room are connected and during the hottest part of the day the humidity gets up to 60-63% according to my meter. When the sun starts going down and until about noon it stays in the high 40s to low 50s which seems backwards of what most people say should happen since the ac should dehumidify during the day more than at night when it doesn't run as much. The other rooms in the house never get above 50% all day. The mud room is connected to the kitchen and the humidity will get higher but if i close the door to the kitchen it stays in the low 50 range.

I've used my infrared thermometer trying to find any air leaks but I can't find any. What is a good way to locate the problem? Me and my wife rarely cook so I don't think that's the issue. I don't have any mold issues and the house isn't uncomfortable but it concerns me that it's that high.

The only thin I think could be the culprit is my freezer. A while back it was dumping water on the floor every day and the repairman said it is a self defrosting model and once a day it defrost and the water drains into a pan and the motor makes the water evaporate.

Comments (3)