SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

How done do you like your lamb? or duck?

plllog
7 years ago

I was surprised to learn how many women here like their steaks practically raw. Most of the women I know IRL prefer something in the medium range.

They've started serving everything medium-rare, however. Lamb and duck which used to be always served medium-well are now medium-rare in restaurants. I've always wondered if that was just to turn tables faster or something.

On TV, when there's a competition with tip top chefs judging, if they're over 45 and French, they always disagree with the Americans when the lamb is served medium-well. They are from when lamb was supposed to be that way, and I once saw one of the culinary gods almost snap at a star American judge saying something to the effect of "I like it this way," with an implication that it was "correct." (I've only once seen the same scenario for duck, but it's also not made as often.)

I still prefer medium-well for lamb and duck. I've tried other temperatures. I can eat them well done, but that's past the best. A little on the medium side is okay, but not the best yet. Med-rare or less is inedible as far as I'm concerned and makes me wonder when we lost our taste for cooked food.

How do you like them?

Comments (37)