SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
giskim

New washer/dryer dilemma

giskim
7 years ago

We are in the throws of getting new machines for our second house. We have a laundry room that is about 62" wide and 56" deep. It has a door that swings open, just clearing the dryer on the right with the washer on the left. We have older Maytag units that are on their last legs. There are cabinets on the wall above. We have become huge believers in front loaders, and would like to replace one if possible. The problem comes with the fit. The newer, advanced machines (I was planning on the Electrolux 617) are just too big for the space. We could make it work, but would have to stack them and move the vent, probably the gas and water lines to make it look reasonable (would prefer not to have hoses running all along the wall. We'd have to get new cabinets to fit around the new layout.

The second option is to get the Speed Queen front loader. We could put them side-by-side, but it would be awkward to have the washer on the right as the door hinge is on the right, making it hard to load and unload. We could put the washer on the right, but we would have to move the vent to that side. Also, we have our rechargeable vacuums stored on the left in front of our washer; placing anything with a front door will cause an issue with clearance, with the door swing within about 2 or 3 inches of the wall. We could keep our cabinets as is with this option.

Next option is the Speed Queen stackable; we could put them where our dryer is on the right; to make this work, I would have to install a dryerbox in the wall to allow the unit to be almost flush with the wall. Even so, the depth of the SQ stackable is 28". The installation guide says the washer door depth is 1.5" and washer hose depth of 2.04". I'm not sure that the door would clear, as the open door to back wall measurement is 30.75". If this could work, we could just move our cabinets to the adjacent wall. In fact, we could add cabinets to give a lot more storage space. We could move the machine to the middle of the wall, but I'd have to move the vent. It would also mean that we would have to buy new cabinets. We could also 1) remove the door, or 2) put in a pocket door.

I'm kind of inclined to try the last option; it would give us the most efficient use of our space. Unfortunately, it could add about $700-1000 to install a pocket door, an option that would actually look better overall, but is it worthwhile.

The final option would be to replace with the Speed Queen toploader. Seems like this is the most practical, but not most desirable choice.

Are we making too much out of this? The appliance guy thinks we're nuts; he thinks we should just get the TL and be done with it. Our problem is that we do large and frequent loads and love the cleaning with our FL at home (Miele).

Does anyone have any advice?

Comments (21)