SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rorycn

Anyone use HRT?

Rory (Zone 6b)
7 years ago

I was diagnosed with low ovarian reserve at age 36 and was unable to conceive via any and all assisted methods - we tried them all. Stopped trying at 39 then conceived naturally at 40 and gave birth at 41. DS was my last good egg! I nursed for 19 months and shortly there after went into menopause at age 44.

I had terrible hot flashes day and night for about a year then went on HRT (Activella) and found relief after a few weeks of the HRT. I felt so much better on HRT and dreaded the day I would have to stop.

I am 53 now and a few months ago I started bleeding and was finally diagnosed last week with 2 submucosal fibroids. They are small but were bleeding. I was taken off of HRT 3 weeks ago and the bleeding has stopped. The HRT was causing the fibroids to bleed.

I am now to be off of HRT for 2.5 more months to shrink the fibroids. My Dr said the easiest way to treat this problem is to just stop HRT altogether. I want to either have the fibroids removed or have the lining ablated so I can resume HRT or at the least be able to use vaginal estrogen.

After stopping the HRT for 3 weeks my hot flashed are back with a vengeance and I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. I can't even use Estring or any vaginal estrogen to relieve vaginal atrophy. My poor husband is so neglected and I am so sick of feeling like this.

The Dr gave me blood pressure meds to see if the hot flashes are more manageable but they are not working yet. I have low BP to begin so I don't need it other than for hot flashes. The other option he offered was Effexor which is an anti-depressant. I already take a low dose of Zoloft which works just fine for my general anxiety disorder so I don't want to mess with new meds with unknown side affects.

I guess my question is (after that long-winded intro) is, has anyone found relieve from sever hot flashes and menopausal symptoms with any thing other than HRT or has anyone been on HRT long-term? I just can't imagine feeling like this for any extended length of time. I have a 12 year old and a husband who is 5 years younger than me. I don't want to be a bitchy old mom with a dried up girl parts.

Comments (18)