SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
divotdiva2

Need Advice on Filtering Water to House/Appliances

divotdiva2
7 years ago

I'm not educated on filtering water so I really need help from the plumbing experts here on GW. We are going to renovate the kitchen and add in plumbed coffee maker, steam combi oven, and move the fridge. These appliances will be across the kitchen from the sink, on a different wall so I will have two main water lines feeding to the kitchen with connections for the appliances.

Current Samsung fridge will be reused but it already has a built in filter for the water & ice. Tap water does not taste bad so we've never filtered it at the sink with Brita or other equipment.

I have noticed that although our municipal water is supposed to be "soft", our former fridge had a white material build up around the drip tray which did not come off. I have a Corian counter and it was designed with drainage grooves cut into it by the sink. These also have a white residue on them that does not scrub off. Ditto for the sink faucet and handles in one of the bathrooms.

I'm guessing the water supply is harder than advertised, and I don't want our new appliances and fixtures to end up damaged or have this same unsightly problem. Is the fix a whole house in line filter? If so, I don't want to deal with Culligan type maintenance - are there reasonable priced units that a homeowner can maintain easily themselves?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor