SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rob_morren

Whole house water filter no shut off valve after filter

Rob Morren
4 years ago

Trying to help my sister in her 100 year old house. I've always had well water so I'm unfamiliar with her city water setup.
She has a filter on the main line coming in, before any water heater, softener, etc.. It's extremely clogged/dirty and her water pressure is almost non-existent. There's a shut off ball valve right next to the filter. However, there's no shut off after the filter. There's a red button ontop of the filter unit to relieve pressure. However, without a shut off after the filter, I think I'm just getting backflow. Whenever I loosen the filter housing water just sprays out and I quickly tighten back up. I tried running the sink to relieve pressure, but it still sprayed out. I tried opening all the faucets and showers until water stopped coming out, but water still sprayed out when I loosened the filter housing. I can't figure out what to do. Every water filter diagram I see online has a shutoff valve immediately before AND after the filter. This one only has a valve before. Thanks in advance, I'm at the end of my rope!

Comments (10)