SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Need advice from plumbers re:water filters

Peke
10 years ago

Hi all, I bought a Delta beverage faucet 1914-DST. It will work with RO and is lead compliant, but I don't want an RO system. My primary purpose for the filtration system is to remove any lead, VOCs, chlorine taste, and improve the taste. Our water wept has been warned for years about the high amount of THM. (not that I know what it is or does to a human.)

Water department says they mostly use chlorine, but they also use chloramine. Do I want to filter both of these out?

In May after the Oklahoma City tornados, we had two months of reddish brown water. Okc has that red dirt and our entire lake turned reddish brown along with our faucet water. The okc rivers bring it to our lake and the water dept gets our water from the lake. It destroyed our pool water and it took us months and about $600 worth of pool chemicals to clean it up. We finally got to swim in August.

1. We need a filter to remove bad taste...would this be a carbon filter?

2. We live in a house built in the 60s, 70s , 80s, 90s. Lake cabin went from 1400 sf to 3500 sf over the years. We have replaced ALL electrical and we know they used metal pipe with lead in it. Nothing was to code or legal. What filter do we use to remove lead and copper, etc?

3. I want to remove THM and VOCs....whatever those are.

4. Do I want a system with generic filters/cartridges? Or is that asking for trouble? Inferior product?

5. We are at the end of our remodel with very little cash left. Cannot afford an expensive filtration system. Our new window money we saved is now going to our roof replacement out of pocket costs. Can you give me your suggestions to which brands and model numbers that will work with the Delta 1914-DST?

6. Can we put an outside filter on the outside faucet that we use for pool water? Or have some kind of filter that we can bypass when use water for the flower beds? We would only install it and use it during summer months.

Thank you for any advice . Peke

Comments (5)