SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grittymitts

Badly in need of fuel filter advice

grittymitts
15 years ago

Our J Deere 280LX was surging so I checked the Fuel Filter- it was dirty so I changed it. Back to mowing but after only a few swaths the surging began once more. Checked filter- it had a blob lookin' thing in it so put on another new one. (Held end of old one to keep the gunky stuff in so I could examine closely to try to figure out what the dickens it was; it was black 'n slick- when it slid out it 'strung' itself out almost like hot tar or grease would've, but slid out so fast I lost in the grass.

Late fall of '07 I had to haul it 30 miles to the JD Dealer who found 'trash' in the carb; chg? $85. Deciding to make sure it didn't happen again I emptied gas cans, washed them thoroughly, tied lint free cloth over openings, same w/spouts, etc & left them sit in garage until spring. Before adding new gas I made certain NO moisture was present by drying everything w/hair dryer. Since then every drop of gas that has gone in this thing has been filtered at tank opening by lint free cloth. (BTW, I make sure to do regular maint. per manual using only JD products.)

DH who used to take care of these matters is far too debilitated (physically & mentally) to come outside on his scooter for weeks at a time- so I'm pretty much on my own; if manual doesn't tell it, I don't know it.

Anyone have advice, clues, ideas??? Believe me, this old lady will appreciate any help.

Suzi

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert
More Discussions