SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roxan1

New heat pump & air handler concerns

roxan
7 years ago

Researching heat pumps and matching air handlers to replace my 30+ yr old units. One unit is close to death but the other unit still manages to cool my bedrooms to a frosty 74 during the hot Arizona 110+ summer. Single story 2500sf w/10ft cathedral ceiling in living rm, ground level HP with one air handler in hall closet another in laundry room. Rigid ductwork sealed well w/blown-in attic insulation (except batt in cathedral ceiling). Garage doors, walls and attic space insulated.

Most specs for heat pumps include the dbl level but not for air handlers. Outside noise of the heat pump not a big concern. One of the air handlers will be in the hallway just outside my bedroom so I want to find a quiet unit. I have air returns in every room that connect with the underground returns. House stays fairly cool considering it is an older home.

I have had 4 HVAC contractors come to give me estimates and have gotten 4 different answers concerning noise levels. Only one however was able and willing to give me a full estimate including model numbers and everything included with the install. He did mention that anything I get would be a huge step up from what I have now given the age of the units. He did try to match the size of the old units since they have proven sufficient in the comfort level up to this point.

Out of the remaining 3 contractors, one never got back to me with an estimate, one gave me a ballpark figure at 3x the cost of the first contractor and refused to give me model numbers, and the third scribbled out rough estimates for a couple of different manufacturers. None did a manual J calculation but the first guy said he would measure the house to make certain we were sized correctly once I was ready to move forward.

Should I get at least 1 or 2 more detailed estimates? Would the sound level for the air handlers be a concern given the amount of returns that I have in the house? What certification should I look for in an hvac contractor?

Comments (17)