SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
collinsd4

Evaluating Heat Pumps and Air Handlers

collinsd4
9 years ago

i have a single story home in Richmond VA, 1000 square feet. I've received 6 quotes from 4 companies, Hungerford Oil, Taylor Construction, Sears and One Hour to replace a 2 ton 20 year old central air system with a new heat pump and air handler. I'm also interested in having a UV light, programmable thermostat and annual maintenance plan.

I currently use oil for heat and hot water. I'll be using this only as a backup for heat on really cold days, but otherwise, it will continue to provide hot water. Taylor Construction proposed some sort of mechanism that would prevent the heat strips in the air handler from coming on at very low temperatures and rather, would defer heating at these times to the oil furnace, stating that heat pumps do not generally perform well during extended periods of sub-freezing temperatures.

1) Energy.gov recommends the selection of a heat pump with a demand-defrost control. This isn't standard?

2) is there a recommended process for evaluating the reliability of these installers and the level of service I can expect, especially if there is an equipment problem in the future?

3) I'm leaning towards a whole house energy audit to be followed by an audit of the work of whichever company is selected to make sure the work is done correctly. Is this overkill?

Of the companies bidding, Hungerford has done a great job servicing my oil furnace and existing central AC system on an annual basis. The other three companies came to me by way of being recommended through homeadvisor.com saying "these service professionals, while screened HomeAdvisor Service Professionals, have not been matched to your request, and are being provided solely for informational purposes, as a directory."

I'm thinking that as a more educated consumer since speaking with these companies, having reviewed many of the earlier posts to this same forum and having done some general research online, I should probably do #3 above and then get some recommendations on local companies. Sears and One Hour had great presentations, but they seem to be very expensive as compared to what I think I should be paying in the neighborhood of $4000-$6000.

I'd love to know what others think.

~ Collins

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living