SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noniwkd

Lemon tree with a hollow trunk...how does it even survive?

noniwkd
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi there!

I live somewhere in the Mediterranean region and right next to my grandmother's house there's a lemon tree with a considerably hollow bark; it's as though its insides have been scraped off from one side only. I have always been curious about it.

While I don't know the exact age of the tree, my uncles testify that it is definitely more than a 100 years old, some even think it's around 200 years old...the tree has always been like this (with this hollow trunk) since their childhood, so it's not something new.

However, we are starting to realise that the 'hollowness' has even 'deepened' more lately. Also, I have recently spotted small round holes on the inside.

I just wonder if anyone knows what may have originally caused this hollowness (it may even be man-made for all I know) and how it has survived for all these years. Where is its vascular system?! The tree bears healthy fruits every year. Is this a common occurence amkng trees?

Sorry for the long post, I know nothing about trees so I tried to spout out every detail I know. There probably exists a logical, mundane explanation but to me it has always remained a source of 'awe', for lack of a better word.

Hope anyone can shed some light on the matter!

Looking completely normal from this side.

You can see the small round holes inside. Those are recent.

Thank you!

Anthony

Edit: I am sorry for the distorted images, I don't know how to fix that!

Comments (25)