SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neil_mathison

Indoor gardenia struggling to survive

Neil Mathison
7 years ago

I have been caring for the gardenia that is shown in the attached photos for several years. However, approximately 8 months ago, the mature leaves began to turn yellow then brown and eventually die and drop off. Since it had been in the same pot and soil for at least a year, I guessed that it needed to be repotted in fresh soil, which I did. I also trimmed the plant back to remove the branches that no longer had leaves.

Following that, new leaves began to emerge at the various nodes on the branches, and it appeared things were returning to normal. However, in the last week or so, the initial problem has returned - affecting the newly emerging leaves. I water with de-chlorinated water adjusted to a pH of 6.3. I am very conscious of the watering frequency, so I'm fairly confident it isn't due to over watering (or under watering.) The plant is indoors with a controlled tempertaur of about 80F and a humidity level of around 55%.

I am looking for advice on correcting her downward health spiral.

This shows the new growth at the base of the plant. The one leaf at top center shows the browning at its tip.

Two new leaves showing brown atthe tips. An older leaf at the top badly affected.

The overall plant as she stands now. (the leaf in the soil is not normal for the course. It dropped off while photographing.

Comments (7)