SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monkeygurlz

Frost Proof Gardenia - Indoors Possibility??

MonkeyGurlz
9 years ago

Heya,

I bought 2 Frost Proof Gardenia - they are a zone 7-11. I live in a Zone 6B. I initially planned on pushing zones and planting it outside facing a south side wall. However, it was advised to plant them in Spring in other to allow it's roots to develop/harden... especially since our last winter (live in Michigan - I'm at the "Detroit" region) was pretty bad (so they'd surely die if we get another one of those this year). My thoughts are I would plant one outside next year and hope for the best... but I am considering planting one indoors (just to see how both fair)....

The plant comes in a 3 Gallon Pot - the plant is relatively big too! I looked into them, they are relatively slow at growing,

Mature Height: 3-4 ft.
Mature Width: 3-6 ft.
Sunlight: Full - Partial

1- How big of a pot should I transplant it into? I'm considering an earth box... suggestions?

2- Is regular potting soil okay to use?

3- Should I use fertilizer since it's an already big plant? It's not like I need to help it with a root booster if it's indoors.... though I'm unsure how large thae roots are or how far they extend. I would like to see the flowers bloom - I hear they smell amazing!!!

Any other advice?

Comments (3)