SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fawnridge69

Date & Nut Bread

fawnridge (Ricky)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

As my memory has it, both my grandmothers and an aunt made Date & Nut Bread whenever I visited. It was a staple just like the jar of schmaltz in the refrigerator. I hadn't eaten it in probably 30 years until I got the bread maker last week. Date & Nut Bread was my third from the new machine and I produced a tasty product, but nothing that matched my memories. I brought some to my Dad and he loved it but agreed it was not his mother's recipe.

The recipe I used and have printed below is from "The New McCall's Cook Book" 1973 edition. One of my three cookbooks. It makes a wonderful Date & Nut Bread, but it's still not what I remember. Nonetheless, it's worth baking and, if there's snackers in the house, it won't last long.

4 cups of pitted dates - I buy these 2" long Majools. 2 containers was more than I needed. Cut the dates into small pieces about the size of Cheerios.

2 cups of chopped walnuts - don't powder them, but get them chopped up good.

Dump them both in a big mixing bowl and pour 2 cups of boiling water over them. Stir and then let sit until cool - at least 30 minutes.

2-3/4 cups of All Purpose flour sifted together with 1-1/2 teaspoons of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of salt. Set this aside.

Cream 1/2 cup of unsalted butter (1 stick and get it nice and soft first) with 1-1/4 cups of light brown sugar firmly packed. (I'm going to try dark brown sugar next time.) And mix in 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon of vanilla (use the good stuff!) When the butter is completely mixed add this to the date and nut mixture and mix it well with a wood spoon.

Add in the flour mixture and beat with the wood spoon until well combined.

Split the batter between 2 greased meatloaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. The original recipe said and hour and ten minutes; mine were done in 55 minutes.

Comments (11)