SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elmerjfudd

Different voices, different opinions

Elmer J Fudd
7 years ago

I've long preferred PCs in the Microsoft Windows ecosystem and while family members enjoy their many excellent and clever Apple products, and I have to "maintain" several at great difficulty, they're not for me.

Many, many people have expressed dismay with how ham-fisted Microsoft has been over the last few years in mismanaging its flagship product, Windows. It completely missed the market with the initial UI changes made for Windows 8. It is/was an otherwise excellent product but the UI Microsoft went to was awful. Fortunately, it ultimately could be easily avoided with simple add-ons. But not before the damage was done and noses were twisted.

Damage control time, jump over issuing anything labeled Win 9 (to try to put distance between the new version and disastrous Win 8) and release a replacement branded as Win 10 with a familiar UI. But, again, the ham-fisted internal voices must have prevailed and been the cause of the unprecedented strong-arm tactics for the "optional" upgrade that has caused many, many people problems.

I have no doubt that Win 10 is a great operating system and I wouldn't hesitate to have it on a new PC. But too many people have experienced major issues in trying to get it to work right on older machines. Yes, very many have been successful, but that doesn't make those with difficulties go away.

My morning paper (the San Jose Mercury News, from the heart of Silicon Valley) had this article from its technology columnist Troy Wolverton, discussing the state of play for Windows 10. I've been reading his column for years. Wolverton is an objective person and is viewed in town as being very knowledgeable.

Yes, many have done the upgrade without issues. It's also true that many have not. If your PC has an earlier WIndows version and it's working fine, I'd say there's no need to fix what isn't broken because doing so CAN lead to new and sometimes unfix-able problems. Others can disagree.

Win 10 Upgrade doesn't always lead to happy results

Comments (10)