SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21881146

Dogtrot Style House for 2016

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

DH and I are contemplating building again. We've be in our home, a stone cottage, almost 10 years. When we built, we had two of three living out of state (CA and IL) saying they would never move back to AL but both have. DD1 lives with us in the lower level. Very private but shares our kitchen. We love our home but there are some things we would do different next time around, rather than build a smaller version of this house.

Our current MBR is right off the great room. Walls were well insulated to keep down noise. While DH can go to bed early and not be bothered by me watching TV (I turn down low, since I can hear), if he gets up early and is at home, he can't watch TV in great room and if he is loud in the kitchen it wakes me. He can go to lower level den, but if he gets too loud (he cannot hear), it wakes up DD1. So thinking we need a dogtrot style home - foyer and stairs in center. I love seeing from front out the back. Or it could be foyer with laundry room, pantry and powder room between MBR and kitchen/LR on the main level. Would technically like to have two masters on the main, just in case the future requires us to have two bedrooms on this level.

Thinking two down/two up. Or one down/three up. Would like DD1 to be private with bedroom and loft at top of stairs or she could use another bedroom for her living room. Have two young grandchildren (cousins, not siblings) that each spend the night once a week. I'm not interested in lower level or basement. Technically need a three car garage (have four vehicles plus golf cart and canoes). We are considering an older established golf course neighborhood. High end, so English cottage, Tudor, French are styles that would work. Or a nicely finished modern farmhouse with stone and wood.

If you're still with me.... other solutions would be a) wait until the owners' of a house we want to buy (a third neighborhood, but close by) decide to sell (year or two out) and remodel it to our liking. Would need to add a main level garage, gut three bathrooms, kitchen and make a better front entrance. b) buy a house we have viewed three times in the same neighborhood we are considering building. Would also need to add garage and gut two bathrooms there and some minor things like new roof, exterior painting and replace a couple of windows.

Cost wise, building would be the most, followed by a then b. But all are close enough that it doesn't matter. All are private/acreage, gated neighborhoods and rural yet close to civilization (about 12 minutes).

The architect for our current home is out of state, did not help during construction. Builder was a one man show, so no decorator/interior designer help was needed or required. I have ideas for all three of the above choices, but wondered if anyone has built a house with a similar floor plan. I'm not interested in copying anyone's plan, just seeing similar. We originally bought a plan for our current home, removed the upstairs living areas, added the lower level, changed the exterior finishes and made a lot of changes to the main level that made it work better for us and, we believe, future owners.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I discovered GW when searching dual fuel ranges during our build, and never left. Mostly lurk in building forum and spend majority of time in Decorating and Kitchens.

Comments (3)