SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esedlin

Need help troubleshooting a/c- temp ok, humid too high

esedlin
7 years ago

Bear with me, this is long...
Last summer, upstairs a/c wasn't cooling adequately. I concluded I needed to replace the thermostat and the run capacitor on the blower. After this, temperature seems to be ok (bought an independent thermometer) but the humid is high 58%-62%. We do live in NC so it is hot, but I can't figure out why the humid is so high when the temp seems to be working. Makes the whole area uncomfortable.
I've read about and understand the oversize issue and the need for a properly sized unit. But we didn't change the size of the unit. I thought about slowing down the blower, so I recently rewired it to low speed. Also found a couple of places in the attic around the duct flashings where we were losing some cool air and tried to seal those, but again, that didn't seem to be what accounted for higher humidity. Also have checked the drain lines - no clogs, and in fact, the drain pan has been dry. Have looked inside air return and where ducts connect into the unit and it all looks clean - no buildup of dust. Coils look clean too. Cleaned coils in condenser unit last year.
I am a DIY-er and think I am a resourceful researcher. But I am out of ideas and frustrated. Our system is old, and I know they don't last forever, but I can't figure out why the temp is ok (meaning the system is cooling) but the humidity is high.
Any ideas or suggestions would be very much appreciated

Comments (7)