SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bong477

Designing a hidden kitchen desk

DrB477
7 years ago

Starting to iron out the details of cabinetry for an upcoming remodel. The cabinet builder is a local custom setup and willing to do more or less whatever we want.

My wife wants a "desk" area (counter height) for kids to do school work, etc at at. I realize that kitchen desks are clutter magnets and not very popular at the moment, but let's assume we've already thought this through (we have) and we still want one anyway. We have a space which should work well for it that is kind of removed from the rest of the kitchen and we don't have a great use for the space otherwise.

Criteria

Desk area can be "hidden" when company is over.

Has space for a printer/scanner combo (we currently have a HP that is 20wx19dx13h (rounded up). We'd keep it ideally but printers are relatively cheap so could buy a different model if needed.

Current space is 63" wide to the wall. On the other end is a 12" wide bump out for a support beam which nearly abuts the trim to the 34" door opening. The support beam specifics as it pertains to the new kitchen isn't entirely finalized pending plans from structural engineer. It won't be bigger, might go away completely. Door opening will stay, undecided as to whether to keep the door itself though.

What I came up with was having a 24" unit on one side (wide enough for print on a pullout) next to a 36" unit. Retractable armoire type doors sufficient to cover the 36" width should fit fine (hardware takes 3" I'm told by cabinet guy). The over and under counter area doors can be used seperately (allowing the leg room area to be covered if not being sat at). When its open the over the counter area is backed by a magnetic chalkboard "message center" that we can use like we'd use a magnetic fridge space. The bottom is backed by the same style of beadboard that we are using to back the mudroom bench/locker setup.

Inspiration pic

Non staged current space (yeah... its bad don't judge)

my concept

kitchen layout (this is the "message center")

Thanks in advance for your input!

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor