SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
historian79

Row Kitchen Reno, Round 3: Hidden Vent or Exposed; How Much Wall Tile?

Danielle Gottwig
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm working on fun / pesky details while waiting for some quotes to come in.

Curious, now that I have some of the "big details" worked out, what you all think of some aesthetic considerations.

By big details being worked out, I mean that I now know enough about the cost of electric and plumbing to be certain of the locations of the range and sink.

So here are the current mock ups:

Right now, we're planning on installing a hidden vent for the range. This comes from the observation one or two made during my initial planning that in my original configuration - where I had a range on the long wall - the exposed vent we had dropped into the scheme was crowding our tiny space.

I think that is probably still be the way to go, because we have a lot going on on the short / lefthand wall of the kitchen, in terms of appliances. The fridge, a stacked washer/dryer, and the range are there already. An exposed vent is another detail. (In case it matters: we're not using the range in the rendering, but a slide-in that won't have the raised control panel at the back.)

Nonetheless, I'm curious what you all think now that the kitchen plan is reconfigured. Would you switch out the hidden vent for something more like this?

White Shaker Transitional Kitchen · More Info

If we stick with the hidden vent: In our current scheme, we've got the uppers sitting a few inches under the ceiling. So the last little bit of vent will be visible. Will this look odd or do we just shrug that off and move on?

The other thing I'm trying to puzzle out is whether and where to install wall tile on our giant, long wall. I have some wall tile I like, that looks like this:

Here is something very similar installed with the cabinets we're planning:

Here's the thing. I love the tile, and I know where it needs go on the left: just fill the bit of open wall. But on the right, what would you do? Tile the wall? Tile the first 18" or two feet, then switch to painted wall? Leave tile off of the wall? I'm just not sure what to do given the amount of surface there is.

We haven't decided what to install, but we're thinking of placing a wall shelf / wall shelves on the long wall. Either something a little more traditional, like this:

Or maybe just simpler metallic shelves:

Or if those are too much, we could just do a couple of rails.

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus