SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue36_gw

Kitchen Desk Design Tips?

sue36
15 years ago

I don't have any funds right now, but I figured I'd at least plan the rest of my home improvements so I'll be ready when the time comes. I'd love your advice on the kitchen desk.

My kitchen is cherry, but I think I'm going to do the desk in white because it's away from the rest of the cabinets (my trim is all white). The space is about 45-46" wide, open on the left and a wall on the right. My ceilings are 8'3" and the cabinets go to the ceiling, but I think I'm going to have these stop short of the ceiling.

One question I can't find the answer to is how far should the bottom of the upper cabinet be from the desk surface? I also wonder what you think the optimal height from the ceiling the crown on the upper cabinet should be? I'm not going to display anything up there, so what amount of space looks best?

For the desk, I was thinking of an 18" wide cabinet on the left, a knee space (with drawer) and then an end panel on the right for support and looks. The upper cabinets I'm having more of an issue with. This is what I want to store in this space: warranty and instruction files (in drawer), camera and cord, telephone, Bose, laptop charger (I am thiking of using a grommet and hiding the plug behind the drawers, if possible), space for cooking magazines and some books (I have another bookshelf that is full), closed cabinets for 3 ring binders, regular desk supplies, paper boxes (holding receipts, to file, to do, etc.). I would love to put a wireless printer somewhere, but I don't think I could fit it in the cabinet and I don't really want it on the desktop.

I was thinking of an open shelf with a closed cabinet above. The cabinet maker that did my kitchen does cabinets that wide, but it probably needs a center stile, right (that's ok, I just need to plan for it)?

Also, with an 18" drawer and a 1 1/2" right panel I would have 26 1/2" of knee space. What do you think of that?

Sorry this is so long! I've attached pics of a rough drawing and of the space. If the cabinet is 46" wide the sconce will be centered in about 19" of wall space.

Any ideas and suggestions (and pictures!) are appreciated.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012