SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carlotaroser

What are your rose preferences?

carlotaroser
7 years ago

I readily admit to loving all kinds of roses but some just reach out and grab me. I seem to be prone to the blends like Gemini and Double Delight. If it changes colors as the days go by, then I am a fan! And fragrance, nothing can stop me in my tracks like a fragrant rose! But, even as I write this I start dreaming of Just Joey or Abbaye de Cluny so it seems that I'm not that particular!

My husband loves the singles and doubles. He also finds the ones with unusual coloring hard to resist. We've grown Hot Cocoa, Irish Coffee etc just because he had to have something different.

This was my first blend, I got it from my neighbor over 20 years ago. It never went to market and I still grow it today!

What roses are you drawn to?

Comments (27)

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    7 years ago

I never realized until this year that I was drawn to blush pink and light yellow roses until I look out and see that a lot of my roses are in that colour range. I realized it is both intentional and unintentional. Let me explain.

I am not one of those folks who overthink the overall plan of their garden all the time before they buy their roses. I buy roses I like or which got great reviews and plant wherever a spot is available. One of the problem with "impulse" buying is that I end up with roses of the same colour range. For example, I bought Moonstone, Cinderella, Heritage and Pomponella this year. They are roses on my list and when they became available here for the first time, I went and bought them without a second thought. I am happy to have them since I may not have another chance. But as they all bloom, all I see is pink although individually they are all beautiful.

One of the other things I also underestimated over the years is the effect the weather have on roses. My spring blooms are usually more colourful and true to the colour I want when I bought them. But when the weather gets hotter for example, most of my roses becomes paler and bland especially my austins as they all become pinks, whites and "beigeys". The two austins I am surprised about is Teasing Georgia as she retains a nice yellow colour throughout and L.D. Braitwaite as he does not fade much.

Therefore to answer your question, my preference for roses will be different from now on. I will have to re-examine my rose list later this year but I will "consciously" concentrate on more brighter colour range. I was always attracted to apricot roses but I noticed they don't hold their colour well so I am going for more orange. I have Strike it rich, About Face and Tropicana and I have noticed they stand really well against fading. I am definitely going for stronger reds and striped roses. I find that I prefer Kordes and Carruth roses more as they hold their colours better in the summer for me. Of course it depends on the individual roses as well.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    7 years ago

I like producers, less BS, at least medium vase-life, exhibition form (beginning to enjoy David Austin roses), and fragrance. Mostly HT's and mini/flora's are in my garden.

• Related Discussions

What is your preferred type of album?

Q

Comments (24)
    I am definitely a "3 ring binder with page protectors" scrapper. I started making these scrapbooks this way before I had even heard of Creative Memories and they work great for me. I definitely like the flexibility it affords me to move pages as I am organizing. Norma - I am in the middle of doing a heritage scrapbook of my maternal family. It sure is fun but a lot of work! Where have you gotten some of your ideas for arranging pictures on the pages? Do you have any advice for the heritage scrapper? I would love to hear any ideas and suggestions. I am looking for 5X7 embossed frames with rectangular centers but can't find any. They only carry ovals. Any ideas? Thanks! :-)
    ...See More

What's your onion preference?

Q

Comments (44)
    bbstx, if the scapes (the little bulbs on top) are cut off, the bulb on the bottom will grow bigger. The scapes taste like mild garlic and can be eaten/cooked with. Scapes are the result of hard necked garlic sending up that flower stalk, although they don't actually bloom. The stalk will curl around, I was always told to cut them when they were a circle. The stalk in some varieties straightens out as it gets bigger and the bigger it gets the tougher it is so the scapes should be cut while it's still young and tender. You don't HAVE to cut them, you'll still get a garlic bulb underground, but the bulb will be bigger if the scapes are cut. I've never grown garlic from seed, only from cloves of garlic, so I'm only assuming it will reseed itself if the scape is left. When half of the outer leaves of the garlic plant die, it's time to pull the garlic and use it, the bulb grows under the ground. Annie
    ...See More

What size drawers do you prefer in your kitchen?

Q

Comments (13)
    It depends on what you want to store in the drawers. E.g., if you just one "layer" for silverware, then I would get one with a shallower top drawer. Personally, I don't like "stacked" rollouts in the same drawer; IMO, that defeats some of the purposes of having drawers (one movement to open/close). Separators, though, can be useful. Maybe not bins so much as they waste space, but separators don't waste nearly as much. I have one 4-drawer stack that has 3 shallower drawers with a deeper bottom drawer (we use as our "bread drawer"). In the shallow drawers, I (1) silverware, (2) foil/plastic bags/wraps, and (3) electrical (extensions cords and the like) My suggestion is to plan your storage -- look at your layout and determine what dishes, tools, utensils, pot holders, etc., you need in each Zone and select your drawer options accordingly. Here's an example of a storage plan:
    ...See More

What types of wood do you prefer for your dining tables?

Q

Comments (11)
    IMO wood is a poor choice if kids do arts and crafts there so no matter what wood you choose you will need to have a cover on thetable for the kids so really not a huge issue as to type of wood. I agree we need pics of your space . I only ever had one wood table and that was an antique one with old oak that was not deep grained but really beurtiful now all the oak is crappy open grained fast growing oak not at all like the old stuff. I have always had a glass topped table one with a metal base ( Corbusier) and the other with a beechwood base and an expandable glass top . The old Corbusier is now our outdoor table and has stood up to canadian winters for 16 yrs we don't even cover it .
    ...See More
  • seil zone 6b MI
    7 years ago

I tend to go for blends, stripes, bi-colors etc. most of the times. I also seem to lean towards the apricot/oranges a lot. I only have a couple of white ones because they tend to do poorly in my humidities. And for some reason solid reds don't grab me either.

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    7 years ago

I tend to be drawn to roses that don't die on me. Also to roses that don't look like they're trying to die. They're a real favorite and I go out of my way to find them.

I wouldn't say that I'm drawn to little white roses- Anne Marie de Montrval, Chas. Walker Mignonette, Gourmet Popcorn, Marie Pavie, Softee, etc.- but I have a lot of them because they're survivors. Now I give them a second look because I think that rose has a bit better chance. On the other hand, I love apricots and prefer roses with an old-fashioned look. I'd love to have more like that. Some make it here but not all.

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I like all types of roses and love the classic hybrid tea type, but I have discovered more recently that I like the more old fashioned look just as much. Fragrance adds to the overall beauty IMO. While I haven't yet experienced Austin roses that much, if I ever get started with them, I can see myself becoming hooked. The colors are magnificent! There's not very many types I dislike, but there are some colors I consider garish, and I don't care for those at all. Most years the spring flush is the best time to enjoy all these lovely colors, shapes and fragrances, there's nothing more beautiful and satisfying.

Here are some examples of my wide range of tastes. I've merely touched the surface.

Souvenir de la Malmaison

Love Song

Mme Ernest Calvat

Julia Child

Pink Peace

Francis Meilland

Reine des Violettes

Lemon Spice

Beverly

Liebeszauber

• barbarag_happy
    7 years ago

I like a nice full shrub which blooms at all levels of the plant-- Peach Drift, Sunshine Daydream, Distant Thunder, Belinda's Dream, Easter Basket, Cubana (even tho she takes too much time off!). I also love my hybrid musks-- esp. Lyda Rose and noisettes-- which bloom in spectacular flushes spring and fall. Very important is disease resistance and good vigor, followed by fragrance.

Am trying some Kordes hybrid teas this year-- don't know what came over me-- Dark Desire, Savannah, and Pink Enchantment. They look SO awkward next to my other roses in pots. I plan to use them as cutting roses and the pots are where I can't quite see them out the kitchen window!

I like Grande Dame well enough to embolden me to order Mother of Pearl even tho neither of them is registered as a shrub. I might even put South Africa on the wish list!

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    7 years ago

They have to have nice color, or a pure white. I'm not a fan of pale pinks, unless there is something else about the rose. I don't really like striped roses. I love fragrance, but it's not a deal breaker. I tend towards deep striking colors, fuchsia, purple, orange, red, yellow. I also love Austins with many petals, but I also love singles. I like to do arrangements, so some HTs are good for that. And I'm just getting into minis.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    7 years ago

Disease resistance is top #1 for me...Of course I also want the bush to have a decent shape and to grow and bloom well...I actually prefer no scent or lightly scented roses...

• rose_crazy_da
    7 years ago

Its basically whatever catches my eye or my Nose..I love Austins but really I'm getting into Kordes roses now due to their disease resistance

• odyssey3
    7 years ago

Over time I have become pretty strict about what roses live with me. I won't buy a rose without fragrance and have been trying to get the most fragrant. Next, the rose has to be pink. It can be light pink, dark pink, hot pink, but pink. Finally, big and fat with lots of petals and no stamens showing. Deep cup shapes are my favorite.

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    7 years ago

I have to admit I'm a sucker for colour. I walk into a store & it's always the colour that makes me have an impulse buy. If it's bright or rich I'm drawn to it. I do like a lot of the unique & multi colour blooms I see posted on here by others. However, because of my zone I'm also trying to be realistic with what I can grow. So secondary factor is hardiness. I'm willing to take a chance on a "tender" rose if the bloom pulls on a heart string. Also my garden is relatively new, so I also look at mature sizes to find the right rose for the right spot. I really don't want to have to move one in a few years, because I plopped it into the wrong spot.

7 years ago

Good advice halloblondie. I've done it many times, not only impulse buying but impulse planting as well. But gardens do change and when it does, I need to replant it. I am thinking of redoing my driveway and patio maybe next year so I am very conscious what I buy and plant now. I would hate to move all of them. I remember Seil saying she had to do it with lots of roses in buckets when she did redid her garden. It doesn't sound fun to me...

I don't think anyone can argue with your comment Kes. Very funny and so true.

You and I are on the same boat, Sara. I was an exclusive hybrid tea lover until about five years ago. I used to look at some of the pics on this forum and didn't like the old fashion blooms as I used to hate the flat saucer like rose bloom. At the time, I felt it was an incomplete rose...lol. I began to really appreciate old form blooms when two of my austins, Golden Celebration and L.D. Braitwaite matured and the bloom are just beautiful. Of course when I see all the pics on the forum, I am beginning to realize that the problem with hybrid teas is that the blooms are mostly alike except the colours. From then on, I grow all types of roses. I also never liked single petal roses until a few posters including Seil posted a beautiful pic of fourth of July. After that, I try to include all different types of roses in my garden.

Last but not least, I agree with Jim and rosecrazy. DR is definitely a must but I would overlook it if the rose is beautiful.

• carlotaroser
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This is amazing! I fall ill and come back to find so many great responses! Thank you everyone. My head is still fuzzy, so if you don't mind I'll post a more detailed response when I can see and think straight.
    But for now, here's Gemini

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    7 years ago

Today, I grow just about any type of rose ( modern or antique) that doesn't require the winter chill, or are once bloomers. There are other caveats.....

Beyond class of rose requirements, I am drawn to color. Whether I am willing to admit it or not, pink must be my favorite, followed by deep velvety reds, purples, purplish reds, lavender, warm pink. I look for strong, deep, intense colors that do not fade to something icky in the sun, like many pastels do here, unless it is pastel pink...... of course. The way the rose works into the landscape is also important, which is another reason why I skew toward Antiques, as I do not think any rose can beat the charm and way these roses complement other plantings. They work to create a look that is more visually interesting IMO, but for many of them, a decent amount of growing space is required. Fragrance is a must. If it is in my garden and is not fragrant, I must have been REALLY drawn to it for some other reason. Disease resistance does not even factor in, as the dryness eliminates most of it. That is it, and unfortunately the reason why saying no to many roses is sooooo difficult. I am about one step away from requiring Roses Anonymous....

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    7 years ago

Black spot Disease resistance

lots of petals

color (purple is my favorite )

no stripes

not a giant monster plant since I have a tiny yard

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    7 years ago

I like climbers best. They are just so romatic :D Lavender or blue rose are my favorite color. I like old fashioned bloom forms with lots of petals that are quartered or cupped. Fragrance is a big plus. I think I like softer colors more than bright colors but there are certain roses that I love that are bright.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Carlota, I hope you're feeling better and will be back to gardening soon. Your Gemini is lovely with its subtle shading--so delicate. Diane

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

I prefer cool colors and not red/orange. I adore a good pink rose. Any and all shades of pink are my favorites. I do try to balance things out with other soft colors like white, cream, apricot and lavender. The biggest factor for me is good cut flowers. I can't be out in the heat, so I want my blooms to look good enough to enjoy indoors, in spite of the hot, dry weather. Due to my climate, diseases are rare. I don't want the ones that bleach or blow quickly in the sun. I want them to last as long as possible when cut. I enjoy giving away the bouquets as well.

To sum it up, I'm drawn to soft, romantic, girly looking roses that make great cut flowers in my hot dry climate. Oh, and fragrance is important. If I like a rose enough, I'll still grow it, though. Lisa

• lauriescreams
    7 years ago

Preferences:

-Colour trumps all. I love mauves, magentas, clear reds, and the whole range of pinks. A vivid yellow, crisp white, or glowing orange might also catch my fancy.

-I prefer a high petal count and a cupped or tea hybrid shape. Large flower size is a plus. If a rose has a low petal count, colour had better be out of this world.

-Must be repeat flowering (unless the colour is beautiful and found in no other rose).

-Fragrance is nice, but if all other qualities are exceptional, I can accept if there isn't much perfume.

Resents: Brownish tones. Like the nicotine yellow of Honey Dijon or the chopped liver colour of Hot Chocolate.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    7 years ago

I'm with Jim and modestgoddess--No. 1 concern is BS resistance! AT least some degree of resistance, though the more, the better!

#2: floriferous and good repeat bloom

#3: Usually, big, full, round blooms, but sometimes a single or semi-double is a nice change; frilly ruffly ones are attractive alternatives also.

#4: Depends on which garden or part of the garden I'm planning on planting the rose. In the big bed, I have a number of reds--but also a yellow Berolina, a white Pope John Paul, a pink Jubilee Celebration and Eden climber--but red (with white perennials--hardy garden geraniums, etc.) is the main color theme. In another small bed, everything is soft romantic pink "lemonade" shades--that's where Easter Basket is, and my new Olivia Rose Austin joined them this year. Along the property line next to my neighbor's ugly garage they must be hot pink Peter Mayle, soft ivory/pale yellow Elina--good contrast there--or med. pink Mrs. John Laing as an inbetween buffer color--that pattern is repeated --no other colors allowed in there. In the other beds, certain colors predominate, but considerable variation is allowed also.

#5: I have what I consider an "average" sized back yard--some room to play around with roses and flower beds, but some restraint is needed also since space is not unlimited. As a result, I've divided roses into general categories (hybrid teas/grandifloras; floribundas and modern shrubs; Austins; climbers; old garden roses and other older types like hybrid musks; minis) and I try to have a balanced offering --11 or 12--in each group. That way I get a little taste of all the different types.

#6: And then there is the type of rose--a kind of love-at-first-sight rose. No reason except I'm in love and I want the rose and I'm going to have it! Munstead Wood and Love Song both fell in that category. Gotta make room for spontaneous attraction!

Note: While fragrance is nice, it is never one of my main considerations, though at one point I made a perfumed path and carefully selected strong smelling roses to plant along it--just to make sure I had some good smellers--but others just accidentally showed up in other places also.

Kate

• Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
    7 years ago

I have no preference about any rose that catch's my eye except it has to make a good looking shrub. Even if I have to plant 2 bush's of the same variety close together to get that "full" look. This is what I mean about a single bush having the full look. (Lady of Shalott, David Austin Shrub)

And this is what I mean about planting 2 bush's close together to get the full look. (Remember Me HT)

I only do the "2 bush's" thing when it gives me blooms like this all season long.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    7 years ago

Oh, I forgot, leaves are important too. I do prefer medium to dark green leaves as they create a nice contrast or complement so many rose colors, but also, IME thick leathery dark green leaves hold up better, especially during the dog days of summer. I cannot explain why but... There must be a nice proportion of leaves to blooms. I do not want an anorexic looking rose bush, and the only legginess I find acceptable is on climbers, but, even that is usually camouflaged with something in front.

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    7 years ago

I like every color except screaming orange and purple/lilac ... don't know why. Usually I go for pale pink, deep red and blends/stripes. I like to have roses inside, where I can really look at them, so I do have quite a few HTs and floribundas. I have some favorite Austins, i.e. Munstead Wood, Tamora, Molineux, Tess and others. Right now I'm looking at some pretty impressive Granadas, Gold Medals, Oklahomas and Sexy Rexys, all of which doing very well in 10a/20, in vases on my kitchen table.

On the other hand, thanks to the enablers on these forums, I recently bought The Faun and Aunt Margy's Rose. Both are now blooming away in their pots and give promise of good growth in the future. As with the teas and Austins, I don't expect these roses to be big producers of blooms for the table -- but I do love the way they look outside!

All my roses are double or multiple-petaled. A single would be a bold departure to me.

I'm enjoying this thread.

• garden nut z9b
    7 years ago

I prefer a nice well rounded shrub and I do prefer ogr and austin bloom forms

although my betty prior has been very vigorous and is constantly in bloom so I'm getting used to singles

fragrance isn't a deal breaker but I try to go with fragrant varieties.

Color wise I really like apricots/peach colors but I will go with anything that looks well in the spot I have availible I think Orange is the only one that I find hard to mix in my yard

7 years ago

I love the screaming orange..lol. I think it brings excitement to my garden. Orange always catches my eye first.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz