SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

ole joyful calling

joyfulguy
7 years ago

Greetings, all.

There's been so much space in the garden not seeded ... and weeds growing .. and the seeds in the tray yelling, "Give us all of the dirt on the situation".

Here was I, just at the edge of dark, last night, having hauled the long hose out and done some watering, as we've needed rain badly for some time - the landlord has a pond on the top of a hill (so it must be spring-fed) and has a large irrigating machine with a long hose that gets pulled back to the machine and throws water in a wide arc and the tractor that pumps water to it was running.

I had emptied some jugs that I use to carry water out farther than the hose can reach, and I was just ready to haul them back to the barn, when I heard a "Hello". Looking up, I saw a large dark station wagon on the lane between the house and the garage, with bright lights shining. As I walked across about a dozen rows, and got closer, I could see "POLICE" in large letters on the side of the vehicle, and as I got closer, saw that there was "Chippewa of the Thames" in smaller letters.

The police lady asked me if I were Edward Baker, and when I said that I was, she said that some people were worried about me, and I asked who was worried. She said that it was some friends, and asked whether I was active on the internet ... and my reply was, "Oh! Oh! Gardenweb". She asked for I.D., which I went into the house and provided, then she said that the O.P.P. (Ontario Provincial Police) were busy, and asked them whether they would check on me.

We have two aboriginal groups right near me - the nearest is the Oneidas, part of the Iroquois Confederacy, which bought their own land years ago, so are called the "Oneida Settlement". There are three cigarette shops next door to me, on a farm that they bought a few years ago. On the other side of the Thames River, that flows through London, are the Munceys and the Chippewas on their reservation. It was their police agency that had been asked to check on me, and she said that it took her about seven minutes to get to my house. She said that sometimes they help out the Oneida police, when they have need.

I apologized for the inconvenience that I was causing.

I called son, who'd been busy blowing up balloons all day for kids at a festival and asked him to send a message saying that Dad was O.K. ... but he couldn't access, and I forgot to tell him of the user name and password needed. At first he was a bit concerned that the police were asking about my internet usage, but after he checked the KT ... was quite impressed, and moved, by the whole enterprise.

I'd wondered about garden, as there's been a lot of work with little result for the past two years, but any gardener worthy of the name doesn't give up after a couple of bad years! And I wondered how much energy I'd have, after the radiation in January and February, but, though my friends say that I've lost some weight, I have felt pretty well like my old self for the past two or three months.

The old guys at the village of Lambeth United Church meet on Thursday mornings for coffee and fellowship through fall, winter and spring, then wind up the year by taking their wives out for lunch late in June.

I've often taken a long-time friend, but she was in the hospital a week or so before and didn't know whether she'd be able to go.

I'm getting established with a new doctor more of less downtown, was to have the initial examination on the Thursday afternoon of the luncheon, but they called to say that they'd like to change it to the morning, at 10:30, and lunch was to be on the edge of the city at 12:00, so I doubted that I'd be able to make the lunch. I was done in time, but that lady wasn't able to go.

About a week ago I was about to change from my somewhat disreputable garden clothing (holes, some of them patched, in jeans - but no need for elastics) to attend a gathering of seniors for games and talk at the other church ... when I found that the landlord, who'd returned early from laying sod, wasn't rolling or cutting grass ... but was cutting sod to load for the next day, and I have a friend who needed some sod, so I drove back to the sod field to pick up some discarded sod to take fresh to the friend ... and was too late to change, so went to spend time with games and chat with the old folks in my garden clothes, which caused a bit of a stir. The lady who needed the sod was delighted, however.

And I'm in them tonight, and the main librarian, who isn't in on Thursdays, had wondered how I was ... but I hadn't been in on Thursdays, either for a while ... or on any other day, for that matter, as you know.

Phone bill is due, so I better get on my way to the bank to get that taken care of.

Thank you all very much for your concern ... my life has been going along pretty well as always, but haven't been able to get here, for a while.

Good wishes to all of you.

ole joyful ... fuelled

Comments (43)