SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nsiltane

Front yard foundation plantings for cabin in the woods

nsiltane (zone 5a)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi,

I would appreciate new ideas for foundation plantings for newly finished cabin.

The location is in the lake district of Finland with long winters roughly comparable to USDA zone 5a. The site has about three acres of land by the lake with mostly scots pine forest and some silver birches. While most of the site will be kept in natural state, the upper yard forming the entrance to the site will be landscaped with deciduous trees like oaks and maples plus lilacs, azaleas and flower beds. The main side of the house faces south, so the entrance (or front) side is directly to the north. As the forest shades the area in from both sides the morning and evening, the foundation plantings will be in shade for the whole day. My original idea was to mass plant rhododendros with hostas in front, but now I'm beginning to doubt if that'll look too dull.

So the main issue is foundation plantings for the house, but feel free to comment on other areas of the yard as well.

View from the entrance. Main house in the center, shed on the left and garage on the right.

Main house with a golden for scale. The driveway continues to the right down to the sauna building (yes, Finland) and pier. The area in front of the house has simply too much gravel and I've drawn faint lines to the gravel where I want beds with plants.

The bed on left side has roses and dwarf mugo pines (pinus mugo var. pumilo) To the left of the dog's head is a freshly planted oak (quercus robur) and behind the dog covering septic tanks are three Brabant Arborvitaes (Thuja occ. 'Brabant). The AC unit on the wall will be covered with wood siding matching the walls.

Further to the left the yard has currently two raised planters with six more to come. The area in front of the shed gets nice afternoon sun. It has a bordering bed with azaleas and dwarf junipers. Halfway between the shed and the planter on the right is an Elm tree. (Ulmus Glabra)

To the right of the entrance it's just gravel.

Further to the right the area between the main house and garage will have perennials and roses in the front, two flowering cherries (Prunus 'Accolade') behind them and a Maple (Acer Plantanoides) in the back. The driveway down to the sauna has to be kept relatively wide so that the snow plowing truck won't do any damage in the winter.

Look from the porch.

From left showing the Thujas, oak (yet so small) and mugo pines.

(more pictures in next comment)

Comment (1)