SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferyoungfineart

Shallow front yard foundation planting- so confused

We moved into this house a few years ago and I have struggled with coming up with a decent front yard plan. All of the shrubs (hollies, I think) that were planted as foundation shrubs were gigantic and had pretty much lived out their lifespan in this yard. We have an extremely shallow front yard so any kind of large shrub will take it over. I hired a landscape designer friend draw up a plan for me, which looks beautiful, but is totally not what I had asked for. I really just want to start with some foundation plants or shrubs that are fairly low maintenance, look nice, are deer resistant, and will not outgrow our shallow yard. I spend most of my gardening time in the back yard and really do not want to do double-duty as I just don't have the time. Due to budget we need to begin our focus this fall with plantings on either side of the porch, and reshape the beds and mulch, maybe divide the clump of 3 hydrangeas to spread more evenly across the rest of the house until we have money to redo it, and eventually the sidewalk. The bed around the porch is about 8' deep, faces nearly due east but gets at least 6 hours of sun a day. It's 14' long on either side of the porch

My friend's plan was truly beautiful, but included 2 layers of shrubs and many perennials, many not deer resistant. At the foundation she recommended 4 Otto Luken Cherry Laurels on either side of the porch, fronted 14 dwarf azeleas! That seems pretty excessive to me, not to mention expensive. We have a number of the Otto Lukens in the back yard and the only ones that are doing well are in full shade. All of the others have constant holes and parts that are turning brown. I also worry about the spread of these. I've looked at Wintergreen boxwoods, fronted by an attractive groundcover as a possibility, but I rather like the natural shape of the cherry laurel or azaleas. I just need something that can tolerate the sun in our zone 7b summers. Any feedback most welcome!

Comments (22)