SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brucebanyaihsta

redoing Sagae bed after late Winter freeze

brucebanyaihsta
7 years ago

Some of you may recall the late Spring freeze that wrecked my 10+ year old Sagae bed. The freeze went all the way into the living roots!

Last weekend I finally dug them out, divided the clumps, cleaned out the rot, bleached the divisions and replanted. Took photos for those that do not grow their hosta in the ground - sure was a lot of work but now have 250 Sagae divisions to grow out for more beds! And tilled some new beds to put them in!

The bed had some Francis Williams clumps which I went ahead and cleaned up as well - here is a clump with my knives and bleach solution in the small plastic containers. The big knife is to break the clumps and the smaller knife to cut the rotten/old root tissue away. I refresh the bleach solution when it gets dirty and no longer can smell the bleach to my nose.

Here is a Sagae clump - even with the freeze damage some were about 3 ft tall and the roots were very woody

Digging out the 25+ clumps out of hard clay was bad enough but had some rain recently which helped a bit

More digging

While cleaning the roots found an interesting answer to a previous list posting on whether hosta can leave small root starts in the ground after you remove a clump ( diseased or otherwise): this old rotten Sagae root tip had produced a crown which had died but then this year a new bud formed somehow on the old dead rotten crown and started growing. I cleaned the new growth and replanted it - it is surely interested in growing, so will see if it continues!

Here are the finished products of my cleaning/dividing: bleached Sagae roots that were soaked in 10% bleach for ~ 15-20 minutes.

If you wondered if Sagae is stoloniferous, look at the white root tips! Very aggressive plants!

Final view of replanting from upper deck! Spacing about 18 inches, which is tight for large hosta but I like the full look,

New beds for future fun!

Be glad to answer any questions on cleaning root bound hosta or bleaching them.

Bruce

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!