SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
countrycarolyn

Below freezing temps after germination!!

countrycarolyn
13 years ago

Yes I am one of those people even after sound advice I got to find out on my own!!

Well here is the deal many say well after germination you really have to watch those cold snaps and below freezing temps. Well I got germination and at first I was a little concerned thinking we are about to have a cold snap. Well temps dropped to as low as 11F and have not been above freezing for 2 days, today is a high of 36F though it still hasn't reached 36 yet as of this moment. Well I had germination before this cold snap as many of you have seen my pictures, a few are annuals and 1 is a perennial.

Well I just took the leap of faith and said this system works in nature so why not take my common sense and just see what happens. If I lose a few plants no biggie, but I will know first hand what happens.

No extra protection has been provided for the plants that have germinated, and some do not have even the cotyledon!!

As of today here is what we have, the one picture is a tad blurry but if ya need me to take another picture I will be more than happy to. Also note that my monarda citriodora has germinated!! It is almost the same color as the soil almost a purple color for the cotyledon leaves and it is hard to see but I promise it is there.

{{gwi:356814}}

{{gwi:356816}}

I decided to not make my pics small cause I want EVERYONE to see there is no damage to my babies. As a matter of fact the stock actually looks healthier today than it did a few days ago.

I will keep ya updated, we are suppose to go back to above freezing temps and then we have another cold snap coming in. So I will update with what happens, regardless if it is bad or good!!

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations