SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deweymn

Below freezing temps and winter sowing

deweymn
17 years ago

I'm a bit confused. But then that is normal so I usually go with my instincts.

From a post on a WS thread titled "WHAT I WAS AFRAID OF" someone in another part of the country Z5 & Z6 it seems, a poster replied:

Posted by trudi_d 7, Long Island (My Page) on Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 15:23

"I'd leave them all outside--I don't know why you want to weaken them by placing them inside. Leave them out and trust Mother Nature to cull the very weakest. WS is all about the culling which gives you a garden of the most hardy. By coddling your seedlings you will let the weak live"

Sounds ok for some areas but we have had sprouts and some plants have true leaves emerging because of a couple of days of warm weather. (I should have kept mine out of the sun?). Then we get this cold front that has the ground refreezing. Temps only 20 today and below that at night for the next few days. http://www.kare11.com/weather/ Maybe only 40 by Sunday and then hopefully a warming.

So, whatever I had out came inside. All those new sprouts went under lights and I even have some on radiators with hastily assembled florescents over them. I'm trying to save over 50 tomato and several flats of annuals.

What is happening in your containers if you leave in this upper midwest area??????????????????. Did you have sprouts emerging before the blizzard? Did covering them save them? Or did you bail like I did and retreat to the warmth of a house or garage?

Comments (9)

Sponsored