SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

How late is too late to plant in a bed?

beesneeds
6 years ago

I have a couple of beds that I'm transitioning from last years veggie garden beds that have successfully set in a few bronze fennel, blue borage, and lemon balm.

Now I want to start putting in some of my perennials. Baptista, Agastache, rosemary, lavender, blue eye grass, and a smattering of bulbs that get planted in fall.

I realize it's better to plant the plants in earlier in the season- the season got away from me due to an injury. I've recovered enough now that I can get the bed put in in the next week or two, weather permitting. But is it too late to do this yet this year? I can stow the plants in their pots in a snug outdoor location to overwinter and plant in the spring if it's too late to get it done this year.

I'm in zone 6 microclimate area in a zone 5 area. Southeast side of Lake Michigan, so we get a lot of lake effect snow, but the temps are that sometimes crucial few degrees warmer. We are still a few weeks off from frosts yet.

Also, I typically mulch in my beds pretty deep with leaves- we have a lot of trees on the property. And have frost cloths on hand. So I can extend the season on that bed by a bit too.

Comments (15)