SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Repurposing old built-ins

weedyacres
7 years ago

We put a room addition onto our 1920 worker's cottage that will house a laundry room, office and powder room. We'll have a couple stained pieces in there, so the cabinets that we put over the washer and dryer as well as the desk should also be stained and period-appropriate.

I've been scouring CL for a while, and just bought a pair of cabinets that used to be bookcases with colonnades. We've got ~6' of width, and they're 33"x48", so they're the perfect size.

So here's a photo:

OK, here's the main problem. They are HEAVY as all get-out. I don't think the wall will support them. There's a whole lot of extra structure in them used to build the bookcase plus put the finished back and sides (1 side each). All that extra bulk makes the inside shelf depth only 8", which detracts from the utility as well.

Here's a close-up of the finish. No, it's not real oak, it's faux-finished pine.

So I don't think it's advisable to try a refinish/cleanup.

Can I/should I just remove the face frames and build new cabinet boxes that are deeper and way lighter? I might be able to re-use the wood paneling from the sides and backs in another built-in of some kind too.

I'll post this in woodworking if needed, but I know that a lot of you old house lovers have dealt with this as well.

Thoughts/advice?

Comments (5)