Houzz Logo Print
casasukiya

A Sukiya-Inspired Modern House - What We Built

casasukiya
7 years ago

Site Plan

Floor Plan

General

Although inspired by the Japanese Sukiya style, our house, actually, is a product of several architectural interests: 1) sustainable, energy-efficient design; 2) the work of architectural theorist, Christopher Alexander (including A Pattern Language and related sources); 3) the modern architecture of Schindler, Aalto, Wright, Alden Dow and others; and, of course, 4) traditional Japanese architecture.

The house was designed in a familiar contemporary Pueblo style for the dry, temperate climate of northern New Mexico. We built an efficient, modern, Western house; but we also tried to capture the essence of traditional Sukiya architecture. We borrowed elements from the Sukiya style and modified them to suit our own needs, which we feel is in the spirit of an architecture that encourages innovation. However, ours are subtle features and, I'd guess, not always evident to the casual observer walking his dog.

As for family, there are just the two of us. I'm old, not working and long retired; my wife's younger(er), still working and not yet tired - which confirms, by the way, why it's best not to marry young, but rather somebody young!

Anyway, our semi-rural property is a roughly rectangular 1.3 acres with the back half in a 100 year flood plain that cannot be altered or built upon (see Site Plan sketch). Sloping slightly down to the SE, the site is sparsely populated with piñon and juniper trees which preclude development along much of the NE and SW perimeters. At an elevation of 6585 feet, we have a 4 season climate with 6009 HDD, wide diurnal swings in temperature, excellent solar access and tons of sun year-round - all ideal for passive heating and cooling.

Below are seven Sukiya Features that influenced our design:

1. Transitional Entry Sequence with Gradual Reveal of House, Garden and View

2. Intermediate Space (engawa)

3. Integration of House and Garden

4. South Orientation

5. Intimate Human Scale

6. Spare, Understated Spaces with warm, natural materials; simple clean lines; muted, subtle colors

7. Ample, Practical Storage and Built-ins

Quirks, Quibbles and Bits?

Well, yes, there are things about our house that probably raise eyebrows.

For one, the garage is detached, and many, I suppose, might find the car-to-kitchen route a bit long and circuitous; but, hey, the weather's good, the journey's pleasant, and my wife's still young! Plus, it sure beats negotiating the usual mean passageway strewn with cat litter and last week's blue light special, while the grand entry elsewhere sits idle gathering dust and kudos from the UPS guy.

Also, some may think the lack of a half bath inconvenient, but we've found that the Master Bath, interposed between private and public areas, accommodates this need just fine - and with a garden view - for both guests and daily use. Besides, there's always the airport for the stall experience.

And the range on the island? I suppose that'll get a rise among the Kitchen cognoscenti followed no doubt by a collective sigh and some serious mumbling about a vast culinary wilderness out there. Well, folks, just so you know, this poor sap and his wench DO happen to have a sharp knife in the drawer!

There are other quirks, too, for plan junkies bent on analyzing these types of things.

Finally, several folks over the years have asked what gives me real peace in our house. Many things come to mind, but, you know, my discovery, serendipitous as it was, of single-ply T.P. as the magical fix for a dyspeptic septic has got to be up there. So there you have it. Got to be gentle with the bowels of the beast!

Cheers!

Comments (36)