SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nessa_dertnig

Hoping for kitchen design feedback!

Nessa Dertnig
7 years ago

Hi everyone!

After spending a few years reading the incredible advice on this board, I'm now hoping for some help with our own kitchen remodel.

We're completely renovating an old farmhouse and moving the kitchen to a new spot - so anything goes in terms of plumbing and electric. The things that are fixed are: where the kitchen goes generally, a window, and where the wood cookstove will be located.

Attached you'll find a drawing, but here are some details:

- I've put in several inch dimensions in the kitchen, but don't be thrown by all the others, which are in centimeters.

- We cook a lot! We're farmers and cook and bake every day with fresh produce, as well as preserving food in various ways. This kitchen should be as functional as possible.

- The small bit of counter to the left of the fridge is meant to be a 12" deep phone/family command center cabinet. The cabinet will open towards the woodstove/kitchen entry. This is an important part of the design and needs a place somewhere at the edge of the kitchen (so people can use it without being in the way in the kitchen)

- The house is an old, half-uninsulated stone farmhouse so we will have a lot of fires going in winter and we will use the woodstove to cook on - so the wood stove needs to be easily accessible from the sink and pots and pans, etc.

- The window over the sink is fixed, but the doorway into the kitchen will be relocated next week, so if there's a good reason to put it somewhere different than is currently on the drawing (the yellow opening) that might be possible.

My concerns:

- I'm not sure about having the dishwasher perpendicular to the sink. I've read lots of pros and cons here and other places, but I've only ever had them right next to the sink, which I've always found really really convenient. I just couldn't figure out anywhere else it could go in this design. Thoughts?

- Is there enough space between DW and corner and range and corner, also relative to the sink?

- We'd like peninsula seating (because we had it in our last house and loved it), but I'm worried it'll be a bit tight between the dining chairs and peninsula stools. The table is much more of an oval than is here depicted (it tapers more at all four corners), if that makes a difference.

Thank you so much for any thoughts/comments/ideas you may have, and I'm also open to seeing totally different designs if anyone is interested in doing that!

Nessa

Comments (30)