SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

Final kitchen design feedback!

uscpsycho
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have asked many kitchen questions here for over a year and have received lots of help and advice. Thanks to all! I have renderings of the "final" design which I hesitate to post because some people will love it and some will hate it (and some will be nasty about it) and I will inevitably second guess some things. I have an opportunity to make some tweaks before ordering but don't think I'm making any major changes.

Based on my experience on Houzz I am positive some of you will think the kitchen is downright ugly, don't need to hear from you because we have different tastes and redesigning the entire thing isn't an option anyway.

Please refrain from NKBA references. Sometimes function has to follow form. The NKBA provides some good guidance which I've taken to heart while designing. If you have a suggestion, tell me what it is and why, as long as the "why" isn't equivalent to "because nkba". I'm not remotely close to being a serious cook, the goal here eye candy -- create a beautiful, modern kitchen that will complement the rest of the house. Compromises were made, the goal isn't to build the most perfectly functional kitchen.

Since I'm not cooking a whole lot you can't see the area I'm probably going to use most. In the middle of the wall between the refrigerator and freezer is a sort of "coffee bar/appliance garage" that is hidden behind sliding doors and will be used for the messy things I do daily - making coffee, protein shakes, smoothies, etc.

One of the things I struggled with in the end is picking colors. The white cabinets are glossy, the beige & brown cabinets are matte. The color of the floor in the renderings is off, it's beige (lighter than the cabinets) not white. On the oven wall, I went back and forth on the color of the lower cabinets. I settled on beige but I could be convinced to make all the cabinets here glossy white. My salesperson thinks it's best to have some color from the fridge wall here to tie the kitchen together. And the glossy doors are considerably more expensive than matte so using matte saves some money. I'd really like some feedback about this.

I'm hoping to finally order the kitchen next week!

Thanks again!

P.S. No debate on moving the sink to the island, please. We've gone through this more than once. I'm well aware of the pros and cons and feel very strongly about not having the sink in the island no matter what people say. There is a second hidden sink in the appliance garage.

Comments (461)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida