SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ninapearl_gw

i said goodbye to samson today

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

things have been so unsure over the last 10 days and i was hoping to be able to come here and say that samson was fighting DCM (dilated cardiomiopathy), not looking at imminent death. this was a total shock for me, coming out of nowhere. a 3.5 year old dog, healthy and vibrant one day and 2 days later, on the brink of death.

on monday i took him to my vet. xrays and ekg were grim although his blood work was perfect. by yesterday, he was struggling to breathe. today we went back to the vet for a cardiac ultrasound given by a vet who comes up from st. louis. when she placed the probe on samson's heart, she gasped and said she was surprised he was even alive.

after much discussion with both vets, we all came to the conclusion that it would be best to lay him to rest as he only had days to live. i did not want to prolong any suffering so with his head in my lap and my arms wrapped around him, i cried as he peacefully slipped away.

samson was a rescue and was in a sorry state when he came to me last november. i miss him so so so much, he took "goofy" to a whole new level, such a happy boy and so cuddly. rest in peace, my sweet boy. some day, i will see you again. i love you so so much!

Comments (37)