SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cniss20

Love radiators - but very pricey. How comfortable is Hydro Air?

cniss20
7 years ago

Hi Everyone!

We're building a new construction and are thinking about what kind of heating to use. In our current house we have forced hot air which I haaate. It dries me out terribly and I can feel air blowing on me (which makes me feel colder!).

My number one choice is is radiators (convection?). I grew up in an old building with these big steam radiators and they were amazing. So comfortable. Consistent heat. No drying, Only issue is that to install them now is extremely expensive.

(I know baseboards are another alternative, but my husband hates them and they would make furniture placement tricky)

As a cheaper alternative, many builders we spoke to have brought up Hydro Air. I understand that Hydro Air works by heating coils with water. The air passes over the coils becoming heated and then the air is blown into the house. Sounds interesting. But, how is this any more comfortable than forced hot air? It essentially uses the same idea as forced hot air but the air is heated over coils instead of a fire.

Can anyone explain to me why Hydro Air is more comfortable? Or - anyone had both forced hot air and Hydro Air that can tell me if they feel a difference?

Thank you!

Comments (16)