SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ben_fachner

Hydro-Air versus Cast Iron Baseboards

ben.fachner
10 years ago

I am gutting the 2nd floor of my 1960 home outside of Boston which has been in my family since 1961. Currently the house is a ranch with two small rooms on the 2nd floor that mostly occupy shed dormers facing out the back of the house. They are heated with cast iron baseboards on one zone of a monoflo system (matching the rest of the house; 4 zones total)

The renovation includes adding three dormers to the front of the house to recapture some of that useless knee wall space and essentially turn two rooms into four.

We love our baseboards and the plan had been to reconfigure the existing ones and use some leftovers from first floor renovations to add identical baseboard to the new rooms.

The HVAC contractor has raised three concerns. (1) that we may not have enough baseboard in hand to complete the job (additional concerns that disassembly/reassembly may cause the press fit of the different sections to leak). (2) since the heat had always been on the back walls of the 2nd floor, running piping from radiators for the new front dormer rooms to the heating loop in the basement would require creating new pathways through the walls and may be somewhat destructive and prohibitive. And (3) that given the uneven sizes of the rooms, the natural baseboard placement will give very uneven heating when certain rooms end of with significantly greater length of baseboard.

The HVAC contractor's solution is to scrap the baseboards and go with a hydro-air system since we are planning to install A/C ducting anyway.

I have very much enjoyed my radiators and haven't loved older forced hot air systems of other homes I've had experience with (just don't like air blowing on me and have always thought it creates dust, etc). As we'd been planning this for months, and the renovation is underway, I feel this is coming at the 11th hour and I'm looking down the barrel of a choice I don't want to make.

Has anyone had experience weighing one type of system against the other. Mostly I'm balking because (1) I feel like this choice is outside of my control and (2) I've had a functioning system of a type that I like and that has served my family well for 50 years and I have exactly zero experience with the alternative.

Are there other concerns I haven't thought or or am I making a bigger deal out of this than necessary?

Thanks.

Comments (5)