SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tonyjl89

paw paw growing questions (need advice to get started)

I have decided that I'd like to buy 3 paw paw trees to plant in my yard in western PA (about an hour east of Pittsburgh). I have done a lot of reading on here and other sites about the different varieties and have found several nice varieties currently available at ediblelandscaping.com. I was thinking about getting a Shenandoah, a Mango, and either an Allegheny or a Potomac(any opinions between these 2?). I have several questions I was hoping you kind people could help me answer before I start ordering.

• Is this a decent time to order and plant paw paws? They would be grafted trees in 3/4 gallon pots. Edible landscaping is based in Virginia so shipping wouldn't be too far, I don't think.
  • Has anyone used Edible Landscaping before? Do they seem reputable? I emailed them some questions and received very brief answers or none at all.
  • I am worried about the soil type I have. I live on a hill with well drained but not very fertile soil. It's hard to dig in, has a fair amount of shale rock, and is slightly acidic. I have had a maple and birch tree do well and several shrubs like mountain laurel and azaleas. A lot of the trees take a long time to get to a point where they develop much vertical growth (have noticed this with a lot of wild growing pines and a couple planted elm trees). Certain wild trees grow really well on the property like oak, maple, tulip trees, hickory, apple, and especially sassafras. Do you think paw paws would do ok in these conditions? I don't mind watering when needed. I'm pretty sure I have the right climate here for them, humid and rainy spring with hot and humid summer and cold winters.
  • I can buy or look for better quality soil to plant them in to give them a good start and dig as deep as I can to help the long taproot. Is there anything that people recommend adding to the soil when I plant them? I've read some people like water crystals, kelp meal, gypsum.
  • Should I place anything around the plants to protect them from wind and/or deer and rabbits? I get a lot of deer through the yard year round, which have munched on some shrubs before. I know about shading the trees when they are young so I can try to configure some type of set up to do that. Anyone have a good setup they'd like to share? It does get fairy windy at times being on a hill so maybe tie them to stakes for the first few years?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I really want to get this right and have the trees do well. I will probably be going to the Ohio paw paw festival this year for the first time, really looking forward to it.

Comments (5)